Recruitment to the HESA Board
Trustee role - HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) Board
The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) is seeking a new Trustee to join its Board to provide the student perspective to our discussions and decision making. The role is strategic and ambassadorial in scope with the day to day running of the organisation delegated to the Chief Executive and the Executive Team. The individual appointed will need to either be a student or a representative of a body which represents the interests of students.
HESA is seeking a new Trustee to join its Board to provide the student perspective to our discussions and decision making.
The successful candidate will be joining the HESA Board at a challenging and exciting time with the agency having recently taken up its role as the Designated Data Body for England.
HESA plays a critical role in UK higher education and is in a unique position to use its influence to drive change for good. In a rapidly changing environment, HESA faces a number of strategic challenges and opportunities. It is increasing its strategic collaborations and we have developed a new strategy to help drive our work as experts in data collection, analysis and dissemination UK wide. If you would relish the opportunity to help shape the future of HESA, we very much want to hear from you.
- Location: London and Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Salary: The role is unpaid but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with HESA’s expenses policy
- Contract: The HESA Board usually meets three times a year, with additional meetings held as necessary to support decision making, and for strategic discussion and board development. From time to time short term sub-groups of the Board may be convened to support key strategic activity.
- Tenure: Trustees are appointed for three years and are able to serve up to two consecutive terms. In exceptional circumstances, the Board may determine that a Trustee can serve a further term
- Deadline: Applications should be received by midnight on 15 April 2020. It is planned that interviews will take place on 12 May 2020.
The Board changed its Articles in 2018 to add a Trustee role to bring the student perspective to discussions and decision making and is looking to appoint a Trustee who is either a student or a representative of a body which represents the interests of students. This could include working for an organisation which provides support services to students, working for a student led organisation such as a Students Union or working for a company or organisation which offers services to students. Further details can be found in the person specification.
In addition all candidates are expected to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the role of HESA and the challenges and opportunities it faces
- An understanding of the challenges presented by the complex and fastchanging environments in which we work
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a director (including compliance with the Fit and Proper Persons Test)
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the values of accountability, probity and openness
- A commitment to HESA’s charitable object, mission and values
- Experience/and or a clear understanding of the skills required at Board level e.g:
- Strategic thinking
- Constructive challenge
- Contributing independent perspective
- Collegiate decision making
- Promoting effective working relationships with colleagues on the Board and within the Executive
- Willingness to share knowledge, skills and expertise to the benefit of HESA Services and its aims and objectives
- Willingness and capacity to devote the time and effort required to effectively discharge the duties of the role.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit the following information, quoting reference HESABoardApp2020 via email to Deborah Lawrenson, the Company Secretary, by midnight on 15 April 2020:
- a short covering letter and statement explaining why you are interested in the role and what skills and experience you would bring
- a comprehensive CV including details of your achievements and contact details of referees
For a confidential discussion about the role please call Deborah Lawrenson on +44 (0) 1242 211 116.
Thank you for your interest in HESA.