Student record 2014/15
HESA Student record 2014/15
This section is an introduction and overview of the C14051 Student record collection.
This section contains information about the record specification.
- Coverage of the record - The criteria for the return of data in the record
- Reduced returns - Information on the data items required for the reduced returns
- Data model - Describes the entities included in the record and the relationship between them
- Data items - Directory of all data items collected, and the guidance surrounding them. Displayed by entity, and sortable for ease of searching
- File structure - Describes the physical structure of the record
- C14051.xsd - Schema for the structure of the XML file
- C14051DataTypes.xsd - Schema for the data types used in the XML file
- C14051CodeLists.xsd - Schema for the valid codes for use in the XML file
- Derived field specifications - Contains the list and specifications of the derived fields applied by HESA. Derived fields are used by HESA to create populations and groupings for analysis
This section contains additional information to assist in understanding and compiling the return.
- DLHE - Coverage of the record - Details the criteria for inclusion in the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) record, which supplements the Student record
- Understanding student continuity and the UHN link - An introduction to UHN linking (formerly 'HIN') with worked examples
- Further guidance about Early Years Initial Teacher Training (EYITT) programmes - A guide to the coding of EYITT programmes within the record
UCAS data for HESA transaction
This section contains information about the UCAS data for HESA (*J) transaction, designed to provide HEPs with data originating from UCAS that is to be used in returning
the HESA Student record.
- The UCAS data for HESA (*J) transaction - A document describing the transaction, including format, availability, access and support
- Specification of the UCAS data for HESA (*J) 2014/15 - Describes the fields included in the file and the translations from UCAS to HESA coding conventions
Submission process and quality assurance
This section contains information relating to the data submission process together with tools to assist in data quality assurance.
- Data collection schedule - Details of the key dates and deadlines for the Student collection
- File structures for downloadable files - Contains details of the format and content of the downloadable files produced during data collection
- Validation overview - A document describing validation checks and the various stages when checks are made
- Quality rules - Validation which enforces the quality of the submitted data
- Quality rules web page - FAQ - A guide which discusses the process of viewing the quality rules
- Credibility reporting definitions - A guide to the definitions associated with the credibility report tables
- Credibility reports mapping document - A guide to the comparability of the previously-supplied check documentation to the newer credibility reports
- Download validation kit - Contains downloadable validation kit and related help pages. The validation kit allows quality rules to be run locally during data preparation
- Download amalgamation tool - A downloadable tool which can merge multiple smaller XML files into one large file for submission
- Submit data to HESA - Opening page to access the HESA data collection system
- Understanding the NSS reports - A document describing the NSS reports generated by the submission system.
- Fixed database - Details of the process for submitting corrections to submitted data once the collection closes
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.