Staff record 2018/19 - Notification log
This document summarises all communications associated with the 2018/19 Staff record, starting with the publication of known changes to the record in November 2018 all the way through to collection closure in November 2019. Please refer to the Revision history document for full technical list of changes to the specifications.
HESA issue regular communications during the life of a collection:
- Circulars: announcements to interested parties concerning or issues relating to the collection. Circulars are always made available on the HESA website for later reference, and emailed out to the mailgroup for the collection.
- Coding manual release overviews: these document iterative changes to the technical documentation that define the form of the data to be submitted, as well as being a place to host resources associated with collecting that data.
2019-09-03 Coding manual release - Version 1.4
Version 1.4 of the coding manual includes the following:
2019-08-05 Coding manual release - Version 1.3
Version 1.3 of the coding manual includes the following:
A valid entry label change for code 'MM' within Person.NATION.
The file structures for downloadable files have been updated with an 'Expected governor population' definition and table.
The following documents have been added under the 'Further guidance' section
The Derived field specifications have been updated, more information can be found within the derived field revisions page.
The Fixed database facility document has also been added under the 'Submission process and quality assurance' section.
2019-05-02 Coding manual release - Version 1.2
Version 1.2 of the coding manual includes the following:
The following fields have had amendments:
- Contract.SIGRES has had its coverage updated
- Person.CLINARD has had its guidance updated
- Person.DISABLE has had its guidance updated
- Person.REFUOA2021 has had its coverage updated
The Derived field specifications relating to REF have been updated - please see the derived fields revisions for more information.
2019-03-27 Coding manual release - Version 1.1
Version 1.1 of the coding manual includes the following:
The Coverage of the record has been updated to assist with the return of REF2021. The description for overseas staff has been amended; this now means that some overseas staff will be eligible to be included in the Staff return.
A number of fields have had the following changes:
- Coverage updates for Person.NATIOND and Person.REFUOA2021,
- Description updates for Person.Governor and Person.CURACCDIS,
- Guidance changes for Person.Governor, Contract.RESAST, Contract.SIGRES, Governor.ENDGOV, Governor.STARTGOV, Person.REFUOA2021,
- Valid entry label changes for Person.NATION.
The following documents have been added:
- Quality rules as well as a link to the Validation kit which allows quality checks to be run locally,
- Quality rules web page - FAQ,
- HESA XML Data Entry Tool,
- Amalgamation tool page,
- Derived field specifications,
- File structures for downloadable files, containing information on both the Data Supply and the Expected contract population,
- Cost Centre to UOA mapping,
- Credibility reporting definitions.
More details can be found in the Revision History
2018-11-12 Coding manual release - Version 1.0
Version 1.0 of the coding manual publicises the agreed changes for the 2018/19 Staff record.
The following documents have been added to the manual:
- Coding activities and HESA cost centres documentation,
- Combined levels,
- The Data collection schedule,
- FTE vs FPE documentation,
- The Template exit survey.
The entity Person.Governor has been amended so that more than one Governor contract can be returned during the reporting period.
New fields have been added for the 2018/19 collection:
The Data collection schedule dates for the 2018/19 collection have been brought forward due to the requirement of having data readily available to support the Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Please refer to the Revision history for full technical list of changes to the specifications.
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.