Student 2019/20 - MobilityMobility
Fields required from institutions in All fields
return to field list
To collect data on the mobility of students.
|Applicable to||England Northern Ireland Scotland Wales|
Optional where Instance.LOCSDY = Z and length of mobility is less than 4 weeks.
Compulsory for students undertaking a mobility experience as part of their course outside of the UK with combined duration of 4 weeks or more. Optional for short durations which sum up to less than 4 weeks.
For providers in England, Office for Students will provide supplementary funding to support providers participating in overseas student exchange programmes. This is calculated to reflect the number of students who will spend less than 10 weeks in the current year at their home institution or whose mobility experience(s) in the current year and previous years have a combined duration of over 30 weeks.
A 'mobility experience as part of their course outside of the UK' refers to any overseas experience organised or endorsed by the provider that takes place during the student's higher education. It does not need to be credit-bearing or linked to any learning outcomes. For queries relating to mobility contact the UK HE International Unit at: [email protected].
Where a period of mobility spans more than one reporting period, it should be split between each reporting year. Unless by splitting it up, less than 4 weeks ends up as the duration for one of the years. In that case the extra few weeks are returned in the year with the majority of the duration.
Where a student instance has a number of mobility experiences in the same country, with the same mobility type, these should be returned separately, and not aggregated together.
Distance learning students are excluded from the coverage.
Writing-up students, who are located outside of the UK, should not return Instance.Mobility. The only exceptions are cases where a student completed a mobility experience (e.g. a field trip abroad for 2 months) at the beginning of the reporting year, and then are located outside of the UK to write up their work. Instance.Mobility would be required for the duration of the mobility experience, but not for the writing-up period.
For mobility purposes, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are grouped with the UK. Students undertaking mobility experiences in the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man are not required to complete the Mobility fields.
1) A full-time student studies in the UK on a 3 year degree, but spends year 2 on an ERASMUS+ scheme in France:
2) A sandwich student commences study in the UK. During their 2nd year they opt to study (on an ERASMUS+ scheme for 38 weeks) in France and work (on an ERASMUS+ scheme) for the remainder of the year in the same country. They then return to the UK for their 3rd year.
3) A full-time student on a 3 year course (starting in the UK). During year 2 they take three different study placements that do not overlap, in Spain (ERASMUS+), France and Germany, and finish the year in the UK.
4) A full-time student commences study overseas. In year 2 they study in the UK on an ERASMUS+ scheme, before returning to complete their studies overseas:
5) A full-time student on a 3 year course in the UK. In year 2 they study in France for 7 weeks and then work (also in France on the same programme) for 5 weeks, with a 2 week overlap doing both:
As there is an overlap, the elapsed number of weeks is returned, and multiple MOBTYPEs are returned. If there was no overlap, then Instance.Mobility should be returned twice.
6) A sandwich student commences study in the UK. The student undertakes a work placement abroad in their 3rd year of the course, before returning to complete their course in the UK. However, they are required to go into a 5th year to write up and do so abroad:
Instance.Mobility is required for the third year to capture the work placement; however Instance.Mobility is not required to capture the writing up period.
7) A student commences study on a 3 year collaborative programme where it is initially thought that the student will spend 1 year abroad and the majority of the course time in the UK. However, in year 2 the student elects to study at the collaborative providers in France for the 2nd and 3rd years:
Quality rules relating to this entity are displayed here.
|Reason required||For comparison purposes to create an accurate picture of the activity, monitoring trends, and for use in further studies into the longer-term impact of participation on mobile students, for example employability, etc. For providers in England, to allow Office for Students to correctly calculate funding for students spending time outside the UK through the HESES recreation exercise.|
|Change management notes||The coverage of the entity has been updated to allow for short-term mobility (under 4 weeks) to be optionally returned when LOCSDY = Z (At provider or a partner for the whole year).|
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.