Skip to main content

Business and community services

HE Provider Data: Business and Community Interaction Business and community services

On this page: Business and community services | Continuing Professional Development and Continuing Education | Collaborative research involving public funding

The University of the West of Scotland are missing from the 2022/23 academic year as their data was not finalised in time for publication. Data for this provider will be included in a future update to the HE-BCI open data.

Universities and colleges are embedded in the economy and communities of the UK. These pages provide information about the nature and volume of interactions that HE providers have with businesses and wider communities.

From 2021/22, HE providers were not required to restate previous year's figures as part of their latest data submission. For more details of the restated methodology for each specific table or chart please see the corresponding footnote.


Click and drag to highlight an area on the chart below to zoom in. Right-click to reset the view.

Chart 2 - Income from business and community interactions

Academic years 2014/15 to 2022/23


Business and community services

This table shows the number and value of contracts that HE providers have with companies to deliver consultancy, research, or facilities and equipment related services. Use the ‘Type of service’ drop-down to select which data to view. You can access the whole data set by selecting ‘Download source data’.

Table 2a - Business and community services by HE provider

Academic years 2014/15 to 2022/23


The tables on this page include data about HE providers' engagements with non-academic businesses and organisations. We categorise these organisations into the following groups: 

  • Small and medium enterprises (SMEs) includes enterprises which employ fewer than 250 persons and which have an annual turnover not exceeding EUR 50 million, and/or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding EUR 43 million. SMEs include micro, small and medium enterprises and sole traders.
  • Other (non-SME) commercial businesses includes other commercial businesses which do not match the above definition of SMEs.
  • Non-commercial organisations includes organisations from which shareholders or trustees do not benefit financially.

Continuing Professional Development and Continuing Education

HE providers offer courses to upskill and develop workforces and to enhance the employability and professional skills of individuals. This table records income from these courses, as well as the number of learner days delivered.

Table 2b - Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and Continuing Education (CE) courses for business and the community by HE provider

Academic years 2014/15 to 2022/23


Collaborative research involving public funding

This table shows the value of contributions to publicly funded research from collaboration with non-academic organisations. The value of these collaborations can be in cash or ‘in kind’ (for example staff time, use of equipment, provision of data, etc.). Use the drop-down to filter by source of public funding.

Table 1 - Income from collaborative research involving public funding by HE provider

Academic years 2015/16 to 2022/23


Collaborative Income is returned for research projects which have public sponsorship (grant in aid from a government or public body) to support research performed in collaboration with at least one other non-academic organisation (collaborator). Collaborative research with other HE providers is not included. 'Collaborative research' must involve:

  • Grant-in-aid from at least one public body, and
  • A material contribution (which may be cash or 'in kind' if specified in the collaborative agreement and auditable) from at least one external non-academic collaborator.

The term 'non-academic organisation (collaborator)' should be understood to refer to charities, public and not-for-profit organisations as well as commercial business.

The following sources of public funding are included:

  • UKRI (except Research England), Royal Society and British Academy includes all collaborative research income from research councils covered by the UK Research and Innovation, The Royal Society and The British Academy. The research councils are: 
    • AHRC - Arts and Humanities Research Council
    • BBSRC - Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
    • EPSRC - Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
    • ESRC - Economic and Social Research Council
    • MRC - Medical Research Council
    • NERC - Natural Environment Research Council
    • STFC - Science and Technology Facilities Council plus other income from The Royal Society, British Academy and The Royal Society of Edinburgh.
  • Other UK Government departments includes income from other UK government departments and includes income from Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs).
  • EU Government includes all research income from all government bodies operating in the EU, which includes the European Commission but excludes bodies in the UK.
  • Other includes charities, public and not-for-profit organisations as well as commercial businesses.
open-data   Open data licence: CC-BY-4.0

HE Provider Data: Business and Community Interaction pages

Support and contacts

Press enquiries

+44 (0) 1242 388 513 (option 6), [email protected]

Public enquiries

+44 (0) 1242 388 513 (option 2), [email protected]

Please email questions or comments to [email protected].
Thank you for helping us to improve this publication.