Notes on tables - Higher Education Statistics 2002/03
Throughout the tables, PG represents postgraduate students and programmes, and UG represents undergraduate students and programmes, as defined in the Definitions section of this volume.
HE is used to mean higher education, and FE is used to mean further education.
DfES refers to the Department for Education and Skills.
UCAS refers to the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service.
Notes to tables
The list of institutions in the HESA products for 2002/03 has changed.
- London Guildhall University and The University of North London have merged to form London Metropolitan University.
- The following institution has joined the HE sector:
- Birmingham College of Food, Tourism and Creative Studies.
- The following institutions have changed their names in the HESA products for 2002/03:
- The University of Kent at Canterbury changed to The University of Kent
- Liverpool Hope changed to Liverpool Hope University College
- Institute of Advanced Nursing changed to The Royal College of Nursing.
- Courtauld Institute of Art is now shown separately. It was previously included in the figures for the University of London (Institutes and activities) but is still an associated institute of the university.
- University of London is a confederal organisation. The colleges of the university, shown separately in the HESA reference volumes, are:
- Birkbeck College
- Courtauld Institute of Art
- Institute of Education
- Goldsmiths College
- Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
- King's College London
- London Business School
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- The School of Oriental and African Studies
- The School of Pharmacy
- Queen Mary and Westfield College
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal Holloway and Bedford New College
- The Royal Veterinary College
- St. George's Hospital Medical School
- University College London
- (Heythrop College is also a college of University of London, but is not included in HESA statistics, as it is not publicly-funded).
In addition, the institutes within the umbrella of University of London (Institutes and activities) are:
- British Institute in Paris
- University Marine Biological Station, Millport
- School of Advanced Study comprises:
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Institute of Classical Studies
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies
- Institute of English Studies
- Institute of Germanic Studies
- Institute of Historical Research
- Institute of Latin American Studies
- Institute of Romance Studies
- Institute of United States Studies
- Warburg Institute.
- Homerton College only returns data for students, staff and finance from the School of Health Studies. All other data are now included in the figures for The University of Cambridge.
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine under reported qualifications obtained for full-time postgraduate students.
- Analyses of subject information show Full Person Equivalents (FPE). These are derived by splitting student records between the different subjects that make up their qualification aim. Totals of FPE may differ slightly to counts of students due to rounding.
- For the 1999/2000 year HESA issued extra guidance to institutions in relation to the grade field, which resulted in some institutions changing their reporting practice. This guidance was also issued for 2000/01 and 2001/02, and although it appears that there has been no significant effect on reporting practices in this year, care should be taken when undertaking time series analysis by grade.
- Figures relating to part-time overseas domiciled students may include students studying largely overseas by distance learning who also visit the United Kingdom for part of their programme of study.
Copyright Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited 2004