Table 22 - Academic staff starters and leavers by HE provider 2014/15 to 2021/22
- Title: HE academic staff starters and leavers by HE provider, mode of employment and academic year
- Reference ID: DT025 Table 22
- Location: UK
- Academic years: 2014/15 to 2021/22
- Data source: HESA
- Sourced from: Detailed tables (Staff)
- Data source link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-22
- Data file canonical link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-22.csv
- Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
- Disclaimer: Please note that this data includes rounded totals. Caution must be taken when importing into a pivot table so as not to double count.
- Table 2014/15 total: 198,335
- Table 2015/16 total: 201,770
- Table 2016/17 total: 206,870
- Table 2017/18 total: 211,980
- Table 2018/19 total: 217,065
- Table 2019/20 total: 223,525
- Table 2020/21 total: 224,530
- Table 2021/22 total: 233,930
- Last updated: Feb-23
Table 22 - HE academic staff starters and leavers by HE provider and mode of employment
Academic years 2014/15 to 2021/22
From the 2021/22 release for this table the methodology for defining starters and leavers has been refined. The list of providers, or constituency list, changes each year impacting the starters and leavers values and potentially over-inflating the totals. Providers who are new to the sector or are returning data to HESA for the first time will not show as having any ‘starters’ and their value will be 0. The same methodology follows for providers who leave the sector or no longer return data to HESA with ‘leavers’ shown as 0. Provider mergers and demergers within the HE sector are applied to the dataset to correctly count starters/leavers. Where providers merge or demerge with providers outside of the HE sector and it is not possible to track staff they will also be shown as 0. More information can be found on our provider changes and mergers page.
Type of data
HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) is part of Jisc. We are the experts in UK higher education data and analysis. We have been collecting higher education information since the 1994/95 academic year.
Staff data is taken from the HESA Staff record, which universities, colleges and other higher education providers return to HESA on an annual basis. The Staff record collects a range of information about the personal characteristics of staff and the details of their employment contracts.
We provide data and analysis on staff to a wide variety of customers, including:
- Universities (via the Heidi Plus analytics tool)
- Academic and commercial researchers
- Students and potential students
- Trade unions and employers' associations
- Policy makers.
Our data is used to regulate the sector, inform policy making, advance understanding of social and economic trends, support decision making, and enhance public understanding of - and confidence in - the higher education sector.
Rounding and suppression strategy
We implement a rounding and suppression strategy in published and released tabulations designed to prevent the disclosure of personal information about any individual. This strategy involves rounding all numbers to the nearest multiple of 5 and suppressing percentages and averages based on small populations.
We publish annual statistical bulletins about staff in higher education.
Our HE Staff Data pages collect together all of the tables we publish on staff in higher education.