Table 25 - Governor equality characteristics by country of HE provider 2018/19 to 2020/21
- Title: Governors by country of HE provider, age group, disability status, ethnicity, nationality and sex
- Reference ID: Staff Table 25
- Location: UK
- Academic years: 2018/19 to 2020/21
- Data source: HESA
- Sourced from: Detailed tables (Staff)
- Data source link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-25
- Data file canonical link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-25.csv
- Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
- Disclaimer: Please note that this data includes rounded totals. Caution must be taken when importing into a pivot table so as not to double count.
- Table 2018/19 England total: 2,845
- Table 2018/19 Scotland total: 415
- Table 2018/19 Wales total: 200
- Table 2019/20 England total: 2,975
- Table 2019/20 Scotland total: 435
- Table 2019/20 Wales total: 185
- Table 2020/21 England total: 3,330
- Table 2020/21 Scotland total: 450
- Table 2020/21 Wales total: 195
- Last updated: Aug-22
Table 25 - Governor equality characteristics by country of HE provider
Academic years 2018/19 to 2020/21
The Governor data presents a count of members of the HE provider’s governing body, including staff and non-staff, over the year-long reporting period. Coverage is for providers in England, Wales and Scotland. The first year of data publication was 2018/19.
The data in this table was updated in August 2022. Errors were identified in the age grouping, which meant that certain dates of birth were attributed to incorrect groups. Additionally, an error in the grouping of staff disability codes resulted in an incorrect population for the 'Known to have a disability' group.
Type of data
HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) are the experts in UK higher education data and analysis. We have been collecting higher education information since the 1994/95 academic year.
Staff data is taken from the HESA Staff record, which universities, colleges and other higher education providers return to HESA on an annual basis. The Staff record collects a range of information about the personal characteristics of staff and the details of their employment contracts.
We provide data and analysis on staff to a wide variety of customers, including:
- Universities (via the Heidi Plus analytics tool)
- Academic and commercial researchers
- Students and potential students
- Trade unions and employers' associations
- Policy makers.
Our data is used to regulate the sector, inform policy making, advance understanding of social and economic trends, support decision making, and enhance public understanding of - and confidence in - the higher education sector.
Rounding and suppression strategy
We implement a rounding and suppression strategy in published and released tabulations designed to prevent the disclosure of personal information about any individual. This strategy involves rounding all numbers to the nearest multiple of 5 and suppressing percentages and averages based on small populations.
We publish annual statistical bulletins about staff in higher education.
Our HE Staff Data pages collect together all of the tables we publish on staff in higher education.