Table 11 - HE student enrolments by domicile and region of HE provider 2014/15 to 2020/21
- Title: HE student enrolments by domicile, level of study, mode of study, region of HE provider and academic year
- Reference ID: DT051 Table 11
- Location: UK
- Academic years: 2014/15 to 2020/21
- Data source: HESA
- Data collection: 051,054
- Sourced from: Detailed tables (Students)
- Data source link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/students/table-11
- Data file canonical link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/students/table-11.csv
- Data file canonical link (051): https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/students/table-11-051.csv
- (Note: The machine-readable csv file with the data behind this table is a very large file which has been compressed as a Zip file (several 100MBs). It also contains more rows than can be opened by Excel. Care should be taken when using this data file to ensure all rows are correctly imported into your analytical software. Download the zip file now)
- Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
- Disclaimer: Please note that this data includes rounded totals. Caution must be taken when importing into a pivot table so as not to double count.
- Table 2014/15 total: 2,315,840
- Table 2015/16 total: 2,332,825
- Table 2016/17 total: 2,376,975
- Table 2017/18 total: 2,414,745
- Table 2018/19 total: 2,456,545
- Table 2019/20 total: 2,532,385
- Table 2020/21 total: 2,751,865
- Last updated: Feb-22
Table 11 - HE student enrolments by domicile and region of HE provider
Academic years 2014/15 to 2020/21
Display region of HE provider as:
Contains OS data © Crown copyright and database right 2021. Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2021. Source: Office for National Statistics licensed under the Open Government Licence v.3.0.
NI geographical indicators are based on Crown Copyright and are reproduced with the permission of Land & Property Services under delegated authority from the Keeper of Public Records, © Crown copyright and database right 2021 NIMA MOU577.4
Type of data
HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) is part of Jisc. We are the experts in UK higher education data and analysis. We have been collecting higher education information since the 1994/95 academic year.
Student data is taken from both the HESA Student record and the HESA Student Alternative record. Universities, colleges and other higher education providers return data to HESA via one or other of these records on an annual basis. The records collect a wide range of information, including data about students' personal characteristics, courses and modules of study, and qualifications achieved. The Student alternative record first began in the 2014/15 academic year, with data published from the record from 2015/16 onwards. Data on students pursuing teacher training qualifications is taken from the Initial Teacher Training record, while data on students studying wholly overseas is taken from the Aggregate offshore record.
We provide data and analysis on students to a wide variety of customers, including:
- Universities (via the Heidi Plus analytics tool)
- Academic and commercial researchers
- Students and potential students
- Policy makers.
Our data is used to regulate the sector, inform policy making, advance understanding of social and economic trends, support student decision making, and enhance public understanding of - and confidence in - the higher education sector.
Rounding and suppression strategy
We implement a rounding and suppression strategy in published and released tabulations designed to prevent the disclosure of personal information about any individual. This strategy involves rounding all numbers to the nearest multiple of 5 and suppressing percentages and averages based on small populations.
We publish annual statistical bulletins about students in higher education.
Our HE Student Data pages collect together all of the tables we publish on students in higher education.