Where do HE students come from?
The following tables and charts include information on where UK HE students come from (their domicile). Some information is taken from our Higher Education Student Statistics: UK, 2017/18 and Higher Education Student Statistics: Alternative Providers, 2017/18 statistical bulletin.
All tables and charts include a link underneath allowing you to download the data. Many tables also include a link to download the complete source data as a machine-readable csv file.
The table below provides the greatest detail on where UK HE students come from. The rows display UK counties/unitary authorities and countries - use the Domicile marker drop-down to show only other EU or non-EU countries.
The chart below is restricted to students in their first year of a course. This gives an indication of the annual inflow of non-UK students. Since 2012/13 the number of entrants from China each year has exceeded the number from all EU countries combined.
The following table details non-UK country of domicile by HE provider. Use the regional radio buttons to access further detail on individual countries.
Table 28 - Non-UK HE students by HE provider and country of domicile
Academic years 2014/15 to 2017/18
The chart below shows the proportion of non-UK domiciled students on different kinds of courses. Full-time postgraduate courses tend to have a relatively high proportion of non-UK domicile students.
The following table gives a breakdown of students by domicile and level, including students on designated courses at alternative HE providers, For more details on alternative HE providers, see our Higher Education Student Statistics: Alternative Providers, 2017/18 release.
These tables and charts look at students who study for awards or courses of UK universities, but study overseas without coming to the UK. Data on these students is returned via HESA's Aggregate offshore record, and these students are counted separately from the HESA Student record population. See the Aggregate offshore definitions for more information.
31% of first year non-UK domiciled students come from China.
HE Student Data pages
- Who's studying in HE?
- Where do HE students come from?
- Where do HE students study?
- What do HE students study?
- What are HE students' progression rates and qualifications?
- Contents of releases
- Historical data
- Information on staff, graduates and HE providers
- Widening participation - UK Performance Indicators 2017/18
- Higher Education Student Statistics: UK 2017/18 - Statistical Bulletin
- Higher Education Student Statistics: Alternative Providers, 2016/17 - Statistical First Release
- Custom data and analysis request form
- University UK's report, International higher education in Facts and Figures 2017
Support and contacts
- Introduction to our data on HE students
- Give us your feedback
- Pre-release access to official statistics
+44 (0) 1242 211 120, [email protected]
+44 (0) 1242 211 494, [email protected]
Can't find the information you want?
Our expert analysts can produce custom data extracts tailored to your needs.