Total academic staff includes staff whose nationality has been coded 'not known'.
Staff of indeterminate gender, plus those whose gender is not known, are included in total figures but not in separate breakdowns.
Total staff includes staff whose ethnicity has been coded 'not known' or 'information refused'.
Total staff includes staff whose disability status has been coded 'no known disability' or 'question not answered'.
Average age or percentage of age are calculated only for staff with known age. Average age is calculated on actual age, as opposed to age groups.
The list of institutions in the HESA products for 2011/12 has changed:
- Leeds College of Art joined the HE sector
- Leeds College of Music left the HE sector
- Edinburgh College of Art merged with The University of Edinburgh
- The School of Pharmacy merged with University College London in January 2012. Both institutions continued to make separate returns for the 2011/12 HESA reporting period. A single return will be made in 2012/13.
The following institution has changed its name in the HESA products for 2011/12:
- Scottish Agricultural College changed to SRUC.
University of London is a confederal organisation. The colleges of the university, shown separately in the HESA reference volumes, are:
- Birkbeck College
- The Institute of Cancer Research
- Central School of Speech and Drama
- Courtauld Institute of Art
- Goldsmiths College
- Heythrop College
- Institute of Education
- King's College London
- London Business School
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Queen Mary and Westfield College
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal Holloway and Bedford New College
- The Royal Veterinary College
- St. George’s Hospital Medical School
- The School of Oriental and African Studies
- The School of Pharmacy
- University College London.
In addition, the institutes within the umbrella of University of London (Institutes and activities) are:
- University of London Institute in Paris
- University Marine Biological Station, Millport
- School of Advanced Study comprises:
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Institute of Classical Studies
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies
- Institute of English Studies
- Institute of Germanic Studies and Romance Studies
- Institute of Historical Research
- Institute of Musical Research
- Institute of Philosophy
- Institute for the Study of the Americas
- Warburg Institute.
Due to the particular nature of the structure of the University of the Highlands and Islands, the majority of teaching and research activities are carried out by constituent partners. These staff are not returned in the Staff record.
The University of Oxford has a significant increase (245 in 2010/11 to 830 in 2011/12) in the number of academic staff who have been classified as a 'Professor'. This is not an actual increase, but a change in how professors have been identified at the University of Oxford. This change should bring them more in line with the rest of the sector.
Leeds College of Art joined the HE sector and Leeds College of Music left the HE sector, therefore it is not appropriate to calculate starters and leavers data for these institutions.
© Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited 2013