This section is an introduction and overview of the C15051 Student record collection.
- Introduction - Background information relating to the collection
- Data protection guidance - Information about how Data Protection legislation affects the processing of Student data by HESA
New to HESA or having problems?
Don't worry, you are not alone! If you are new to HESA try the quick start guide, get in touch via email at [email protected], or call 01242 211144.
This section contains information about the record specification.
- Coverage of the record - The criteria for the return of data in the record
- Reduced returns - Information on the data items required for the reduced returns
- Data model - Describes the entities included in the record and the relationship between them
- Data items - Directory of all data items collected, and the guidance surrounding them. Displayed by entity, and sortable for ease of searching
- File structure - Describes the physical structure of the record
- C15051.xsd - Schema for the structure of the XML file
- C15051DataTypes.xsd - Schema for the data types used in the XML file
- C15051CodeLists.xsd - Schema for the valid codes for use in the XML file
This section contains additional information to assist in understanding and compiling the return.
UCAS data for HESA transaction
This section contains information about the UCAS data for HESA (*J) transaction, designed to provide HEPs with data originating from UCAS that is to be used in returning
the HESA Student record.
Submission process and quality assurance
This section contains information relating to the data submission process together with tools to assist in data quality assurance.
- Download amalgamation tool - A downloadable tool which can merge multiple smaller XML files into one large file for submission
- Submit data to HESA - Opening page to access the HESA data collection system
- Help with the data collection system - Area containing a compilation of user guides, report keys, technical assistance and known issues
- Validation overview - A document describing validation checks and the various stages when checks are made
- Download validation kit - Contains downloadable validation kit and related help pages. The validation kit allows quality rules to be run locally during data preparation
- Quality rules - Validation which enforces the quality of the submitted data
HESA statistical output
We produce a range of statistical outputs for public, academic and commercial use. Our outputs range from free statistics, available via our annual publication introductions and Free stats online web pages where you will find many facts and figures in text, tables and chart formats. More detailed statistics can be obtained from purchasing the full annual publications or via our Bespoke Data Service. heidi is a web-based management information service that provides easy access to a rich source of quantitative data about higher education.