Income and expenditure of higher education providers in 2014/15
HESA publication 'HE Finance Plus 2014/15' released today
HE Finance Plus 2014/15 shows that the total income of higher education providers in 2014/15 was £33.2 billion.2 Tuition fees and education contracts contributed £15.6 billion or 47% of this total. The total expenditure of UK HE providers was £31.2 billion, of which £17.1 billion (55%) was spent on staff costs.
The interactive dashboard below includes details of the sources of income and categories of expenditure. The filter at the top right of the dashboard can restrict the data to HE providers in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.
HE Finance Plus 2014/15
HE Finance Plus 2014/15 includes finance data broken down to HE provider level including tuition fees and education contracts, balance sheets, cash flow, capital expenditure, financial profiles and more. HE Finance Plus 2014/15 is available to purchase and instantly download.
The related product, Finances of Higher Education Providers, containing a subset of the HESA finance collection will be published on 28 April. Results of the 2014/15 HE Business and Community Interaction Survey will be published on 7 April. A full schedule of all HESA releases for 2016 can be found here.
Notes for Editors
- Press enquiries should be directed to:
HESA Press Officer
95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ.
- The total income figure includes £0.5 billion of exceptional income reported in respect of the Research and Development Expenditure Credit (RDEC) scheme.
- HESA Finance data is collected from all publicly funded Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in the UK, plus the University of Buckingham, which is a privately funded HE provider (collectively "higher education providers"). The 2014/15 data covers 162 HE providers (131 in England, 9 in Wales, 18 in Scotland and 4 in Northern Ireland).
- Similar press releases for earlier years can be found. This includes releases for 2013/14, 2012/13, 2011/12, and 2010/11.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- See Finance Definitions for explanations of the terms used in this press release.
- See Data Intelligence Notes for any known issues with HESA finance statistics.
HESA is the recognised source of data on higher education in the UK. Our experts collect, analyse, and disseminate accurate and comprehensive statistical information on all aspects of UK higher education in order to support the strategic aims of our users and enhance the effectiveness of the sector as a whole. We are a charity and a company limited by guarantee. We operate as an independent organisation, working in close partnership with higher education providers, regulators, funders, government departments, policy makers, and other stakeholders.