Skip to main content

Higher Education Leavers Statistics: Alternative providers, 2016/17 - Leaver activities and characteristics

Statistical First Release Experimental SFR251

What activities are HE leavers doing?

The total number of UK and other EU domiciled leavers from designated courses at APs stood at 12,765 in 2016/17. Due to non-responses and explicit refusals to the DLHE survey, 9,290 had a known destination. Of these leavers, 87% were in work or further study. The remaining 13% were unemployed or doing an other activity such as looking after a home or family, or retirement. In 2016/17, for the first time, leavers from Masters taught designated courses delivered by APs with degree awarding powers have been included in the figures (see notes for further details).

Figure 3 shows that between 2015/16 and 2016/17 there has been an increase in the percentage of undergraduate leavers from designated courses in work or further study (84% in 2015/16 to 87% in 2016/17). This increase is also apparent among full-time first degree leavers from designated courses. For this cohort, the increase was driven by an increase in the percentage in UK work. The percentage of these leavers in further study on the other hand, dropped from 10% in 2015/16 to 8% in 2016/17.

Figure 3 - Destinations of leavers from alternative providers by activity

2015/16 to 2016/17




How do HE leavers' activities vary by personal characteristics?

Figure 4 shows variances in the activities of leavers from designated courses at APs by personal characteristics in 2016/17. A higher percentage of males were in UK work than females, but a higher percentage of females were in further study than males. This trend is reversed amongst leavers from publicly funded HE providers (source: HESA).

Amongst full-time first degree leavers from designated courses at APs, a lower percentage of those aged 30 years and over were in UK work or overseas work compared with those aged under 30. Those aged 30 years and over were more likely to be in further study or unemployed compared with younger age groups.

Amongst full-time first degree UK domiciled leavers, those from a white background had a higher percentage in work and further study than those of other ethnic backgrounds. Black UK domiciled leavers had the highest percentage in unemployment. For all other undergraduate full-time UK domiciled leavers (excluding first degree leavers) there were fewer differences between the ethnic groups. Those from an other (including mixed) background had the highest proportion in work and further study.

Figure 4 - Destinations of leavers from designated courses at alternative providers by activity and personal characteristics



Why are there two ethnicity breakdowns?

Following feedback on the open data that we have released so far this year, we have created a new breakdown of ethnicity which splits out the 'mixed' category from 'other'.  To assist users in this transition, we have included both our 4 way split as well as this new 5 way split.  In time, the 5 way split will become our normal breakdown. 

See the definition for ethnicity for more detail on what is included within these groups. 

If you have any additional feedback on this breakdown, please contact us.



12 July 2018, 9:30



Release frequency

Annual - view all releases (2015/16 onwards)

Pre-release access

View pre-release access list for this release


Children, education and skills

Issued by

HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ

Press enquiries

+44 (0) 1242 211 120

Public enquiries

+44 (0) 1242 211 133


Rebecca Mantle


[email protected]

Department for Education

Welsh Government logo

Scottish Government logo

Department for the Economy (Northern Ireland)