1998/99 HE Finance and Staff figures published
Resources of Higher Education Institutions 1998/99 is published today by HESA. The volume contains detailed statistical information about the institutional finances and academic staff of the UK HE sector.
Figures from this latest HESA publication show the total income of institutions amounted to £12.1 billion (a rise of 4.1%), compared to £11.6 billion in the previous year. Income from research grants & contracts grew by 5.8% to £1.8 billion, with research councils remaining the largest providers of this income by increasing their funding by 4.9% for 1998/99. The total income for academic fees & support grants decreased this year from £2.8 billion in 1997/98 to £2.7 billion, a fall of 4.5%. However, changes in tuition fee arrangements in 1998/99 have resulted in a shift of income from this category to income from the higher education funding councils, which increased by 9.0% (£404 million). Other operating income increased by 5.0% to produce a total of £2.4 billion.
Expenditure rose by 5.4% (£614 million) to reach a total of £11.9 billion. This rise consisted mainly of an increase of £410 million in staff costs and £185 million in other operating expenses.
The total number of academic staff in 1998/99 was 131,136, a rise of 2.4%. The overall proportion of staff that were male remained at 65%, whilst women comprised 53% of those working part-time.
Other key points
- The sector reported a surplus of income over expenditure of £188 million (1.5% of income)
- Institutions received £429 million in Research Grants and Contracts from UK based charities
- Fees received from part-time credit bearing HE students constituted 12.6% of total academic fee and support grant income
- The numbers of female academic staff increased by 5.4% from the 1997/98 academic year
- There was an inflow of 5,836 staff to the sector in 1998/99, compared to an outflow of 5,052.
Notes for editors
- The Reference Volume Resources of Higher Education Institutions 1998/99 provides a statistical reference of academic staff and institutional finances within Higher Education in the UK for 1998/99.
- The Reference Volume is available from the Customer Services Team, HESA Services Ltd., 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 211155. An electronic version on disk is also available. A list of other publications can be obtained from the Customer Services Team.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- Press Enquiries should be directed to the Data Provision Team at HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 211133. Other enquiries about HESA data can also be addressed to the Data Provision Team at the same address.