A profile of the UK higher education sector 2000/01
The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) in conjunction with the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) and National Statistics, today releases the publication Higher Education Statistics for the United Kingdom 2000/01.
Figures for 2000/01 show that in this academic year there were a total of 2,231,860 enrolments on courses leading to HE qualifications and credits, 241,235 of which were at further education (FE) institutions. There were just under a million full-time students studying first degrees in HE and FE institutions.
A total of 504,410 students obtained HE qualifications from UK higher education institutions in 2000/01. By the end of 2001 there were 163,965 of a total 241,290 leavers, whose first destination was known, who reported employment as their main activity. The sector had a total income of £13.5 billion and an academic workforce of 139,940.
The volume provides a quantitative overview of the UK higher education (HE) sector in 2000/01, drawing together information from various sources concerning students of HE institutions, applicants, staffing, finance, student support and other aspects of HE provision.
Other key points
- There were 772,837 students taking courses of professional and personal development (not leading to HE qualifications or credits) in UK HE institutions
- A total of 230,870 HE students were domiciled in the EU or other overseas countries
- There were 453,835 UCAS applicants for 2001 entry, of which 358,040 were accepted
- 43,485 academic staff were involved solely in research activities of a total 139,940
- 249,590 of the 357,085 first degree entrants in 2000/01 were known to be aged under 21.
Notes for editors
- All numbers of staff and students quoted above have been rounded to the nearest 5. Data relating to non-credit bearing courses does not require rounding.
- The Reference Volume: Higher Education Statistics for the United Kingdom 2000/01 provides a statistical overview of higher education in the UK for 2000/01.
- The Reference Volume is available from the Customer Services Team, HESA Services Ltd., 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 255577. An electronic version on CD Rom is also available. A list of other publications is available from the Customer Services Team.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- Press enquiries should be directed Press Officer at HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone 01242 211136. Other enquiries about HESA data should be addressed to the Information Services Team at the same address, telephone 01242 211133.