Surplus returns to higher education
2001/02 HE Finance Plus CD Rom published by HESA
The higher education sector recorded a surplus this year of £64,338,000 after recording a deficit last year for the first time since HESA records began. Latest data shows that income for UK higher education institutions has increased again this year to £14,490,875,000 from £13,498,558,000 in 2000/01. Of this £5,692,090,000 has been sourced from funding council grants compared to £5,341,317,000 last year.
Expenditure was pegged at £14,426,537,000 compared to just £13,533,656,000 in the 2000/01 academic year.
Detailed finance data analysed by institution is released today by the Higher Education Statistics Agency. For the first time Financial Profiles2 for the academic years 1998/99 to 2001/02 taking the form of a series of ratios are included in the product "HE Finance Plus 2001/02". Comprehensive and detailed data on financial aspects of the publicly funded higher education sector in the UK is presented within this CD ROM.
HE Finance Plus is based on full finance statistics returns provided to HESA from UK higher education institutions. This year, the CD also contains breakdowns of full finance statistics for 99% of UK higher education institutions.
HE Finance Plus covers:
- Income and expenditure accounts
- Balance sheet
- Consolidated cash flow statement
- Income by source including:
- Research grants and contracts
- Tuition fees and education grants and contracts
- Funding council grants
- Investment income.
- Expenditure by activity and type
- Capital expenditure
- Staff expenditure.
Notes for Editors
- Data in this press release relating to 2000/01 is based on restated figures.
- Financial Profiles have previously only been published within the Higher Education Management Statistics - Institution Level publication.
- The CD ROM HE Finance Plus 2001/02 contains data based on the full finance statistics returned to HESA from UK higher education institutions. It also includes the individual full finance returns for 99% of all publicly funded UK higher education institutions.
- HE Finance Plus is available from the Customer Services team, HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ, telephone 01242 211155. A list of other available publications can also be obtained from the Customer Services Team.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- Press Enquiries should be directed to Byron Price, Press Officer, at HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 211133.