A profile of the UK higher education sector 1998/99
The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) in conjunction with the Department for Education and Employment (DfEE), today releases the publication Higher Education Statistics for the United Kingdom 1998/99. The volume provides a quantitative overview of the UK higher education (HE) sector in 1998/99, drawing together information from various sources concerning students of HE institutions, applicants, staffing, finance, student support and other aspects of HE provision.
Figures for 1998/99 show that in this academic year there was a total of 2,081,664 enrolments on courses leading to HE qualifications and credits, 235,907 of which were at further education (FE) institutions. There were just over a million full-time students studying first degrees in HE and FE institutions. A total of 446,942 students obtained HE qualifications in 1998/99. By the end of 1999, 66.0% of leavers within the first destinations survey reported employment as their main activity. The sector had a total income of £12.1 billion and an academic workforce of 131,136.
Other key points
- There were 752,699 students taking courses of professional and personal development (not leading to HE qualifications or credits) in UK HE institutions
- A total of 219,285 HE students were domiciled in the EU or other overseas countries, representing 11.9% of all HE students
- There were 442,931 UCAS applicants for 1999 entry, of which 75.5% (334,594) were accepted
- 29.7% of academic staff were involved solely in research activities
- Of the 355,012 first degree entrants in 1998/99, 31.8% were known to be aged 21 and over
- 54.0% of 20 year olds were enrolled in higher education in Korea compared with 9.0% in Iceland.
Notes for editors
- The Volume Higher Education Statistics for the United Kingdom 1998/99 provides a statistical overview of Higher Education in the UK for 1998/99.
- The Volume is available, price £32, from the Customer Services Team, HESA Services Ltd., 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 255577. An electronic version on disk is available, price £35 + VAT. A list of other publications is also available from the Customer Services Team.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- Press enquiries should be directed to the Data Provision Team at HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone 01242 211133. Other enquiries about HESA data should be addressed to the Data Provision Team at the same address.