Recruitment of Trustees to the HESA Board and Non-Executive Directors to the HESA Services Limited Board
Trustee roles - HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) Board and Non-Executive Director roles - Board of HESA Services Limited (HSL), wholly owned subsidiary of HESA
The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) plays a critical role in UK higher education (HE), and an increasingly important one. As policy-makers, institutions, and the wider public understand more about the power of data, HESA is in a unique position to influence and drive change for good. In a rapidly changing environment, HESA faces a number of strategic challenges and opportunities and this is a very exciting time to be joining us.
HESA is seeking talented leaders and experts from within HE and other fields, to join our successful Boards as Trustees and Non-Executive Directors.
HESA was established to advance education for the public benefit – we do this by collecting, analysing, and disseminating data about the UK HE sector. This year we are celebrating 25 years as a global leader in HE statistics.
HESA operates within a complex network of governance and stakeholder relationships, and the picture is evolving as changes are made to HE sector regulation across the UK. We are seeking exceptional individuals, who work outside of HE as well as within the sector, and who are talented leaders and experts in their own fields, to join our successful Boards. If you would relish the opportunity to help shape the future of UK HE, we very much want to hear from you.
- Location: London and Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Salary: The roles are unpaid but reasonable expenses will be reimbursed (in accordance with HESA's expenses policy)
- Contract: The HESA Board currently meets three times a year for 2 - 3 hours including lunch (November, February and June) and holds periodic Board away days. Board members may also be asked to participate in Board committees, which generally meet twice a year. The HESA Services Board currently meets twice a year for around two hours (November and June). For both Boards, members may be asked to provide input on specific issues between Board meetings
- Tenure: Appointments will be for three years initially and are renewable
- Deadline: Applications should be received by Thursday 31 May 2018. It is planned that interviews will take place on 20 or 21 June 2018 in London.
The Charity Trustee for the HESA Board – applicants will have experience of working at board level or executive sub board level in a substantial, complex organisation in either the public, private, or not-for-profit sectors, and demonstrable senior level experience in one or more of the areas listed in the person specification.
The Non-Executive Director – Board of HESA Services Limited (HSL) applicants will have experience of working in and effectively growing an SME; and have demonstrable senior level experience in one or more of the areas listed in the person specification.
Non-HE applicants please note that we recognise it may not be obvious to applicants outside of the sector which Board (HESA or HESA Services Limited) they would be most suited to and as such we will consider all applications from non-HE people as being for both positions (unless otherwise stated). We will discuss with you which role might be more suitable for you as part of the application process.
All applicants are expected to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the role of HESA and the challenges and opportunities it faces
- Confidence to be an effective ambassador and advocate for HESA/HSL
- Depth of experience and skills in your specialist area
- Experience and understanding of the skills required at Board level, for example:
- Strategic thinking
- Constructive challenge
- Contributing independent perspective
- Collegiate decision making
- Promoting effective working relationships with colleagues on the Board and within the Executive
- Willingness to share knowledge, skills and expertise to the benefit of HESA Services and its aims and objectives
- Willingness and capacity to devote the time and effort required to effectively discharge the duties of the role
To apply for these opportunities, please submit the following information, quoting reference HESABoardApp2018 for the HESA Board, and HSLBoardApp2018 for the HSL Board, via email to Deborah Lawrenson, the Company Secretary:
- a short covering letter and statement explaining why you are interested in the role and what skills and experience you would bring
- a comprehensive CV including details of your achievements and contact details of referees
For a confidential discussion about the role please call Deborah Lawrenson on +44 (0) 1242 211 116.
Thank you for your interest in HESA.