Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education record 2013/14
Coverage of the record
Version 1.2 Produced 2015-02-27
The Student record is collected in respect of all students registered in the reporting higher education provider (HEP) who follow programmes of study leading to the award of a qualification or institutional credit.
The Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education record supplements the Student record and collects information about what those completing their higher education experience go on to do. The record has two parts: an early survey and a longitudinal follow-up. However, this manual describes only the part of the record to be collected by HEPs in 2013/14, which is the early survey with two reference dates.
The definition of the population to be surveyed as part of the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education record as at each of April 2014 and January 2015 is set out below with reference to the Student record. HEPs are required to survey all leavers in the DLHE population and all the responses received that meet the minimum data requirements must be returned to HESA.
Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education population
The HESA Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) target population contains all students reported to HESA for the reporting period 01 August to 31 July as obtaining relevant higher education qualifications and whose study was full-time or part-time (including sandwich students and those writing-up theses). Awards from dormant status are only included in the target population for postgraduate research students. Relevant qualifications exclude intercalated degrees, awards to visiting students, students on post-registration health and social care courses, and professional qualifications for serving school teachers.
Please note that the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education population now includes all students from all domiciles, and is no longer restricted to UK and European Union-domiciled leavers.
Exclusions from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education population
1. The following higher education qualifications (QualificationsAwarded.QUAL).
- H24 - First degree with honours on the intercalated pattern
Awards for Visiting students
- L91 - Visiting research students at levels D or L, with formal or informal credit
- M91 - Visiting taught students at levels E or M, with formal or informal credit
- H91 - Visiting students at level H, with formal or informal credit
- I91 - Visiting students at level I, with formal or informal credit
Post-registration health and social care awards
- M76 - Post-registration health and social care qualification at level M
- H76 - Post-registration health and social care qualification at level H other than a first degree with honours
- I76 - Post-registration health and social care qualification at level I other than an ordinary (non-honours) first degree
- J76 - Post-registration health and social care qualification at level J
Professional qualifications for serving schoolteachers
- M72 - Post-registration education qualification at level M other than a masters degree for serving schoolteachers
- H72 - Professional qualification at level H for serving schoolteachers other than a first degree with honours
- I72 - Professional qualification at level I for serving schoolteachers
Awards of credit
- D90 - Advanced supervised research at level D for institutional credit
- E90 - Advanced taught study at level E for institutional credit
- L90 - Advanced supervised research at level L for institutional credit
- M90 - Taught work at level M for institutional credit
- H90 - Credits at level H
- I90 - Credits at level I
- J90 - Credits at level J
- C90 - Credits at level C
2. All further education level qualifications
Those QualificationsAwarded.QUAL that begin with P, Q, R, S or X.
3. Students studying mainly overseas (Instance.LOCSDY).
- S - Studying abroad and included in the Student record as student has spent or will spend more than 8 weeks in the UK
4. Incoming exchange students (Instance.EXCHANGE).
- 4 - Other incoming exchange or visiting student
- G - Incoming ERASMUS student
5. Deceased students (Instance.RSNEND).
- 05 - Death
6. Qualifications awarded from dormant status, except Postgraduate Research qualifications (Instance.MODE).
Unless the first character of the qualification code is either D or L
- 63 - Dormant - previously full-time
- 64 - Dormant - previously part-time
From this population:
Those for whom 2013-08-01 <=Instance.ENDDATE<=2013-12-31 should be surveyed with reference to April 2014
Those for whom 2014-01-01 <=Instance.ENDDATE<=2014-07-31 should be surveyed with reference to January 2015
Where an individual has been awarded two qualifications which fall into different survey periods they should be surveyed twice. The Student.APRJAN field should be used to indicate which survey a response applies to. An individual making two responses should be included in the dataset twice, allowing their responses to be linked to the relevant qualifications rewarded.
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.