Skip to main content

Estates Management record 2013/14 - Energy consumption - D38aEnergyConsumption

Back to C13042

Estates Management record 2013/14

Fields common to all countries

Energy consumption - D38a

return to field list
Short nameEnergyConsumption

The fields in this entity contain data about energy consumption.

Applicable toEngland Northern Ireland Scotland Wales

All higher education providers (HEPs).


Energy consumption, defined in kilowatt-hours (kWh), including gas, liquefied petroleum gas, oil and electricity.

Consumption figures should exclude any usage within commercial space.

A breakdown should be provided as well as a total figure for a full year's consumption as at the end of the academic year.

Note that the breakdown of energy consumption by fuel type should only be provided for the whole estate, and is not required split into non-residential and residential.

The types of fuels reflect the types used for calculating carbon emissions. The Defra conversion factors and guidance provide the conversion factors as well as supplemental information. Return '0' if none of these fuel types are used.

The following factors are the basis for converting oil and natural gas figures to kWh:

  • litres of oil x 10.6 = kWh equivalent,
  • therms of natural gas x 29.31 = kWh equivalent.

There are difficulties with the measurement of consumption under certain circumstances, some of which are considered:


Tariffs based on 'maximum demand' consumption may not provide actual kWh consumption. This figure should be requested from the local electricity board.

Gas meters

Readings should be made to the nearest 100 cubic feet or nearest cubic metre. Annual consumption figures should be modified pro rata if readings are not exactly one year apart. However, the readings must not be more than thirteen months apart or less than eleven months apart.

Oil metering

In cases where no oil meters are installed, the amount of oil consumed within a period will be logged using dip rods. For example:

  • dip rod reading on last day of January: 1,050 litres,
  • delivery of oil on second week in February: 3,000 litres,
  • dip rod reading on last day of February: 2,500 litres,
  • amount used in February: (1,050+3,000) less 2,500=1,550 litres.

District heating

Systems which distribute steam or hot water to multiple buildings. District heating can be provided from a variety of sources. All sources of district heating purchased should be included under this category. This includes third parties external to the HEP who generate power away from the site (such as a local authority or using waste heat from external industrial processes), as well as HEP-owned third parties used to supply combined heating and power (CHP) energy. It will be important to ensure that there is no double-counting in the energy consumption of other fuels, such as gas. The distinction between energy consumption from combined heating and power will be important in relation to the energy emissions figure to be returned under Scope 1+2 carbon emissions (energy use).

Combined heat and power (CHP)

In order to avoid double-counting, consumption and emissions relating to a CHP unit will be accounted for as follows in accordance with Defra conversion factors and guidance.

Where an HEP uses all the outputs of a CHP unit:

  • inputs (generally gas, but sometimes other types of solid or fossil fuels) will be included in the scope 1 and 2 CO2 emissions but should be excluded from energy consumption totals,
  • outputs (heat kWh and power kWh) will be excluded from the CO2 emissions total but should be included in energy consumption totals (heat rejected from the CHP engine and not used on the site i.e. dump cooler, should be subtracted from the heat output figure of the CHP, because the energy cannot be utilised on site i.e. summertime).

If you purchase electricity or heat from a third-party CHP unit for your own consumption, you should report this consumption under grid electricity and steam/hot water. Defra greenhouse gas reporting guidelines state that the one year average factor should be used for electricity purchased from a third-party CHP unit.

If you export a proportion of electricity or heat from a CHP unit that you operate you should follow guidance in Annex D of the 'Environmental Reporting Guidelines' as part of the Defra conversion factors and guidance to attribute emissions and consumption between users.

To convert figures into kWh:

  • multiply megawatt hours by 1,000,
  • multiply gigajoule hours by 278,
  • multiply tons of steam by 698,
  • multiply Gcal by 1,163.

Liquified petroleum gas

Include figures for any LPG gas purchased and used directly by the HEP for cooking or heating purposes. Also include any LPG gas purchased for scientific laboratories. Exclude any LPG used by contract, cost or profit catering centres operated by external contractors.

LPG consumption should be provided by bills for refilling containers or providing new containers. Assume that all LPG provided and paid for has been consumed. Therefore, take billing figures over a full calendar year.

To convert figures into kWh:

  • multiply litres by 7.0,
  • multiply kg by 13.9.
Mandatory for
Quality rules
Quality rules relating to this entity are displayed here.
Reason required
Part of
Minimum occurrences0
Maximum occurrences1
Schema components
Has parts

Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.