Table 26 - HE academic staff by cost centre and nationality 2014/15 to 2021/22
- Title: HE academic staff (excluding atypicals) by nationality, cost centre, country of HE provider, source of basic salary, mode of employment and academic year
- Reference ID: DT025 Table 26
- Location: UK
- Academic years: 2014/15 to 2021/22
- Data source: HESA
- Sourced from: Detailed tables (Staff)
- Data source link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-26
- Data file canonical link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-26.csv
- Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
- Disclaimer: Please note that this data includes rounded totals. Caution must be taken when importing into a pivot table so as not to double count.
- Table 2014/15 total: 198,335
- Table 2015/16 total: 201,770
- Table 2016/17 total: 206,870
- Table 2017/18 total: 211,980
- Table 2018/19 total: 217,065
- Table 2019/20 total: 223,525
- Table 2020/21 total: 224,530
- Table 2021/22 total: 233,930
- Last updated: Feb-23
Table 26 - HE academic staff by nationality and cost centre
Academic years 2014/15 to 2021/22
This table breaks down staff by cost centre. Cost centre is a financial concept which groups staff based on where the resources for the staff member are located and should align with the provider’s Finance record. Staff members may be assigned to the ‘Clinical medicine’ or ‘Clinical dentistry’ cost centres without holding clinical staff status if the staff member is funded through these departments. Open data table 9 can be filtered to view figures for clinical staff. Further information can be found on the cost centre and clinical status.
Type of data
HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) is part of Jisc. We are the experts in UK higher education data and analysis. We have been collecting higher education information since the 1994/95 academic year.
Staff data is taken from the HESA Staff record, which universities, colleges and other higher education providers return to HESA on an annual basis. The Staff record collects a range of information about the personal characteristics of staff and the details of their employment contracts.
We provide data and analysis on staff to a wide variety of customers, including:
- Universities (via the Heidi Plus analytics tool)
- Academic and commercial researchers
- Students and potential students
- Trade unions and employers' associations
- Policy makers.
Our data is used to regulate the sector, inform policy making, advance understanding of social and economic trends, support decision making, and enhance public understanding of - and confidence in - the higher education sector.
Rounding and suppression strategy
We implement a rounding and suppression strategy in published and released tabulations designed to prevent the disclosure of personal information about any individual. This strategy involves rounding all numbers to the nearest multiple of 5 and suppressing percentages and averages based on small populations.
We publish annual statistical bulletins about staff in higher education.
Our HE Staff Data pages collect together all of the tables we publish on staff in higher education.