Table 3 - HE staff by activity standard occupational classification 2014/15 to 2021/22
- Title: HE staff by activity standard occupational classification, contract marker, mode of employment, terms of employment, contract levels, sex, age group, disability, ethnicity and academic year
- Reference ID: DT025 Table 3
- Location: UK
- Academic years: 2014/15 to 2021/22
- Data source: HESA
- Sourced from: Detailed tables (Staff)
- Data source link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-3
- Data file canonical link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff/table-3.csv
- Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
- Disclaimer: Please note that this data includes rounded totals. Caution must be taken when importing into a pivot table so as not to double count.
- Table 2014/15 Academic total: 198,335
- Table 2014/15 Non-academic total: 205,500
- Table 2014/15 Academic atypical total: 75,560
- Table 2015/16 Academic total: 201,770
- Table 2015/16 Non-academic total: 208,750
- Table 2015/16 Academic atypical total: 72,020
- Table 2016/17 Academic total: 206,870
- Table 2016/17 Non-academic total: 212,835
- Table 2016/17 Academic atypical total: 71,960
- Table 2017/18 Academic total: 211,980
- Table 2017/18 Non-academic total: 217,580
- Table 2017/18 Academic atypical total: 68,845
- Table 2018/19 Academic total: 217,065
- Table 2018/19 Non-academic total: 222,885
- Table 2018/19 Academic atypical total: 70,410
- Table 2019/20 Academic total: 223,525
- Table 2019/20 Non-academic total: 196,210
- Table 2019/20 Academic atypical total: 66,165
- Table 2020/21 Academic total: 224,530
- Table 2020/21 Non-academic total: 191,440
- Table 2020/21 Academic atypical total: 59,120
- Table 2021/22 Academic total: 233,930
- Table 2021/22 Non-academic total: 192,235
- Table 2021/22 Academic atypical total: 62,730
- Last updated: Feb-23
Table 3 - HE staff by activity standard occupational classification
Academic years 2014/15 to 2021/22
Reset filters | Download table (csv) | Download source data (csv) | About DT025 Table 3 | Notes
From 2019/20, it is not mandatory for HE providers in England and Northern Ireland to return information about non-academic staff. Of the 216 providers returning staff data to HESA in 2021/22, 129 opted into returning data about all of their non-academic staff. The remaining 87 opted-out and therefore only returned non-academic staff data pertaining to vice-chancellors/head of institutions or governors. Due to this, we advise caution in interpreting this data.
Type of data
HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) is part of Jisc. We are the experts in UK higher education data and analysis. We have been collecting higher education information since the 1994/95 academic year.
Staff data is taken from the HESA Staff record, which universities, colleges and other higher education providers return to HESA on an annual basis. The Staff record collects a range of information about the personal characteristics of staff and the details of their employment contracts.
We provide data and analysis on staff to a wide variety of customers, including:
- Universities (via the Heidi Plus analytics tool)
- Academic and commercial researchers
- Students and potential students
- Trade unions and employers' associations
- Policy makers.
Our data is used to regulate the sector, inform policy making, advance understanding of social and economic trends, support decision making, and enhance public understanding of - and confidence in - the higher education sector.
Rounding and suppression strategy
We implement a rounding and suppression strategy in published and released tabulations designed to prevent the disclosure of personal information about any individual. This strategy involves rounding all numbers to the nearest multiple of 5 and suppressing percentages and averages based on small populations.
We publish annual statistical bulletins about staff in higher education.
Our HE Staff Data pages collect together all of the tables we publish on staff in higher education.