The Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) has released the first edition of Insight: A Statistical Guide to Undergraduate Study. As a guide for education advisors and potential students alike, Insight provides invaluable factual information on the UK higher education sector, including contextual statistics, institutional profiles, information on entry qualifications and student destinations upon leaving HE. Insight 2000 draws data from the 1997/98 academic year, includes academic expenditure per FTE student, and is HESA’s first publication containing student:staff ratios. Data is presented in three main sections:
Sector level information on undergraduate study patterns and institutional resources
- Level & mode of study
- Age, gender & ethnicity
- Subjects of study
- Type of entry qualifications
- Class of degree
- First destinations
- Expenditure per FTE student
- Student:staff ratios.
Individual institution profiles
- Total student population & institutional income
- Students’ term time accommodation
- Proportion of local students in attendance
- students from overseas
- students from ethnic minorities
- new entrants holding non-traditional entry qualifications
- Expenditure of each academic department per FTE student
- Student:staff ratio
- Other institutional features & prominent subject listing.
Comparative figures showing
- Proportion of first degree new entrants with higher than average A-level points
- first degree qualifiers obtaining first/upper seconds
- first destinations of students leaving HE with first degrees/diplomas
Notes for editors
- Insight 2000 is available, price £17.50, from the Customer Services Team at HESA Services Ltd., 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 211155.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- Press enquiries should be directed to the Data Provision Team at HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone 01242 211133. Other enquiries about HESA data can also be addressed to the Data Provision Team at the same address.