HESA publishes first destinations data 1997/98
The fourth annual reference volume First Destinations of Students Leaving Higher Education Institutions 1997/98 is published today by HESA.
According to these most recent statistics available from HESA, 63% of student qualifiers whose destination was known entered employment in 1998. As in the previous year, a further 19% were continuing their education or training. There was a decrease in the numbers assumed to be unemployed, from 6% in 1996/97 to 5%. Of the 119,541 UK domiciled first degree graduates who entered employment, 30% were employed in ‘professional occupations’ and 17% as ‘managers and administrators’.
Other key points
- 91% of first degree qualifiers in medicine & dentistry entered UK employment
- Among home postgraduate qualifiers, 81% were reported as being employed in the UK, with those qualified in education reporting an even higher rate of 89%
- 5% of all qualifiers and 6% of UK domiciled males with postgraduate qualifications are working overseas
- 21% of home first degree graduates who entered work did so in property development, renting, business & research activities
- 63% of all UK qualifiers entering full-time employment held contracts due to terminate after 30 September 1999 or that were not fixed term
- UK domiciled male first degree qualifiers are almost twice as likely than females (18% compared with 10%) to study for a higher degree by research.
Notes for editors
- The Reference Volume First Destinations of Students Leaving Higher Education Institutions 1997/98 provides a statistical reference of the first destinations of students leaving Higher Education in the UK for 1997/98.
- The HESA FDS Target Population 1997/98 includes all students obtaining relevant qualifications during the period 1 August 1997 and 31 July 1998, whose study was primarily full-time (which includes full-time and sandwich student modes plus those writing up theses).
- There were 269,469 respondents to HESA’s First Destinations Return 1997/98 out of a potential 324,184, a response rate of 83.1%. Whilst this response rate is high it should be noted that the 16.9% who did not respond are likely to be self-selected, which introduces an element of bias.
- The Reference Volume is available, price £32, from the Customer Services Team, HESA Services Ltd., 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 255577. An electronic version on disk is available, price £35 + VAT. A list of other publications is also available from the Customer Services Team.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- Press Enquiries should be directed to Data Provision Officer at HESA, 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ; telephone: 01242 255577. Other enquiries about HESA data should be addressed to the Data Provision Team at the same address.