Expenditure of HE providers by activity 2014/15
HESA publication 'Finances of Higher Education Providers 2014/15' released today.
Finances of Higher Education Providers 2014/15 shows that UK HE providers had a total expenditure of £31.2 billion in 2014/15. £11.8bn (38.0% of the total) was spent through academic departments. Medicine, dentistry and health departments accounted for 8.7% of total expenditure.
The interactive dashboard below breaks down expenditure for the whole sector by activity. The filter at the top right of the dashboard can restrict the data to HE providers in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. The background data can be downloaded here.
Finances of Higher Education Providers 2014/15 contains 12 tables of income and expenditure data at provider, regional and national level from the HESA Finance return. Finances of Higher Education Providers 2014/15 is available to purchase and instantly download now.
The free online introduction to the publication includes sector level tables and charts covering balance sheet information, tuition fee and research income, and expenditure by type and department. Table 1 of the publication, showing income, expenditure and surplus/deficit of each UK HE provider, is published as a free online data table.
Notes for Editors
- Press enquiries should be directed to:
- Simon Kemp
- HESA Press Officer
- 01242 211120
- [email protected]
- 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ.
- HESA Finance data is collected from all publicly funded Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in the UK, plus the University of Buckingham, which is a privately funded HE provider. The 2014/15 data covers 162 HE providers (131 in England, 9 in Wales, 18 in Scotland and 4 in Northern Ireland).
- Financial data relates to the providers' financial year 1 August 2014 to 31 July 2015 (except The University of Buckingham which uses a different financial year).
- The Open University is counted as an HE provider based in England, although its funding includes contributions from other administrations.
- Research grants and contracts expenditure is broken down according to the source of research funding.
- The definitions explain what is included within each expenditure activity.
- See data intelligence notes for any known issues with the 2014/15 HESA finance statistics.
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
HESA is the recognised source of data on higher education in the UK. Our experts collect, analyse, and disseminate accurate and comprehensive statistical information on all aspects of UK higher education in order to support the strategic aims of our users and enhance the effectiveness of the sector as a whole. We are a charity and a company limited by guarantee. We operate as an independent organisation, working in close partnership with higher education providers, regulators, funders, government departments, policy makers, and other stakeholders.