Figure 3 - HE student enrolments by level of study 2014/15 to 2018/19
- Title: HE student enrolments by level of study, first year marker, mode of study and country of HE provider
- Reference ID: SB255 Figure 3
- Location: UK
- Academic years: 2014/15 to 2018/19
- Data source: HESA
- Sourced from: Higher Education Student Statistics: UK, 2018/19
- Data source link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb255/figure-3
- Data file canonical link: https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/sb255/figure-3.csv
- Licence: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Licence
- Disclaimer: Please note that this data includes rounded totals. Caution must be taken when importing into a pivot table so as not to double count.
- 2014/15 total: 2,265,980
- 2015/16 total: 2,279,430
- 2016/17 total: 2,317,880
- 2017/18 total: 2,343,095
- 2018/19 total: 2,383,970
- Last updated: 16 January 2020
Figure 3 - HE student enrolments by level of study
Academic years 2014/15 to 2018/19
Reset filters | Download table (csv) | Download source data (csv) | About SB255 Figure 3 | Notes
Please note that 'Other undergraduate' includes any qualification not listed above (see definitions for a full list of qualifications). 'Total other undergraduate' includes all undergraduate qualifications excluding first degrees.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education also includes Professional Graduate Diploma in Education.
Type of data
HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency) is part of Jisc. We are the experts in UK higher education data and analysis. We have been collecting higher education information since the 1994/95 academic year.
Student data is primarily taken from the HESA Student record, which universities, colleges and other higher education providers return to HESA on an annual basis. The Student record collects a wide range of information, including data about students' personal characteristics, courses and modules of study, and qualifications achieved. Data on students pursuing teacher training qualifications is taken from the Initial Teacher Training record, while data on students studying wholly overseas is taken from the Aggregate offshore record.
We provide data and analysis on students to a wide variety of customers, including:
- Universities (via the Heidi Plus analytics tool)
- Academic and commercial researchers
- Students and potential students
- Policy makers.
Our data is used to regulate the sector, inform policy making, advance understanding of social and economic trends, support student decision making, and enhance public understanding of - and confidence in - the higher education sector.
Rounding and suppression strategy
We implement a rounding and suppression strategy in published and released tabulations designed to prevent the disclosure of personal information about any individual. This strategy involves rounding all numbers to the nearest multiple of 5 and suppressing percentages and averages based on small populations.
We publish annual statistical bulletins about students in higher education.
Our HE Student Data pages collect together all of the tables we publish on students in higher education.