Characteristics of Academic Staff in 2014/15
HESA publication 'Staff in Higher Education 2014/15' released today
Data published today show that there were 198,335 academic staff employed at UK HE providers in 2014/15. When analysed by cost centre (a proxy for academic departments) nearly a quarter of these staff (24%) were working in the areas of medicine, dentistry and health.
Overall 45% of academic staff in 2014/15 were female and 28% were of non-UK nationality. These proportions varied considerably between cost centre groups, with education having the highest proportion of female academic staff (60%) and the lowest proportion of non-UK nationality staff (11%). Meanwhile the engineering and technology cost centre group had the lowest proportion of female academic staff (20%) and the highest proportion of non-UK nationality staff (40%)
The chart and table below show the numbers and proportions of academic staff by sex and nationality in each cost centre group.
|Proportion of female and non-UK nationality academic staff by cost centre group 2014/15|
|Cost centre group||Total academic staff||% female||% non-UK nationality|
|Medicine, dentistry & health||47785||58.6%||23.2%|
|Agriculture, forestry & veterinary science||2395||52.0%||25.7%|
|Biological, mathematical & physical sciences||31270||33.6%||37.4%|
|Engineering & technology||23650||19.6%||40.1%|
|Architecture & planning||3920||32.7%||25.7%|
|Administrative & business studies||15110||42.4%||31.6%|
|Humanities & language based studies & archaeology||17660||51.8%||34.0%|
|Design, creative & performing arts||15725||46.3%||14.7%|
Staff in Higher Education 2014/15 is a downloadable publication which includes comprehensive data on HE staff broken down by demographic and contract characteristics. Staff in Higher Education 2014/15 is available to purchase now.
The next scheduled release from HESA will be the publication of finance statistics on 3 March. A schedule of HESA releases for 2015 can be found here.
Notes for Editors
- Press enquiries should be directed to:
- Simon Kemp
- HESA Press Officer
- 01242 211120
- [email protected]
- 95 Promenade, Cheltenham, GL50 1HZ.
- In the above data all numbers are rounded to the nearest multiple of 5.
- Percentage calculations are performed on un-rounded data and exclude unknown values (e.g. staff with unknown nationality).
- Atypical staff are not included in the graphic or data tables.
- HESA staff data is collected from all publicly funded higher education providers in the UK, plus the University of Buckingham, which is a non-publicly-funded HE provider. The 2014/15 data covers 163 HE providers (132 in England, 9 in Wales, 18 in Scotland and 4 in Northern Ireland).
- HESA cannot accept responsibility for any inferences or conclusions derived from the data by third parties.
- More data on HE staff can be found in our free online data pages, the publication introduction, and the UK HE Stats mobile app.
- Definitions of the terms used in this press release can be found on-line here.
- Data intelligence notes can be found here.
HESA is the recognised source of data on higher education in the UK. Our experts collect, analyse, and disseminate accurate and comprehensive statistical information on all aspects of UK higher education in order to support the strategic aims of our users and enhance the effectiveness of the sector as a whole. We are a charity and a company limited by guarantee. We operate as an independent organisation, working in close partnership with higher education providers, regulators, funders, government departments, policy makers, and other stakeholders.