Intellectual property, start-ups and spin-offs
Intellectual property (IP) includes patents, copyrights, design registrations and trademarks. IP is a vital indicator for understanding the impact and value added by HE providers working with external partners. Tables on this page demonstrate the scale of IP generated by HE providers.
This table breaks down income from intellectual property by type of organisation and source of income (whether from software licences, non-software licences, or other IP income sources).
This table shows HE providers' total income from intellectual property.
The following chart and table show spin-offs and start-up companies based on HE providers’ intellectual property, or started by their staff, students or graduates.
Click and drag to highlight an area on the chart below to zoom in. Right-click to reset the view.
Spin-offs are companies set-up to exploit IP that has originated from within the HE providers.
- Spin-offs with some HE provider ownership are companies set-up to exploit IP that has originated from within the HE provider, where the HE provider continues to have some ownership.
- Formal spin-offs, not HE provider-owned are companies set-up based on IP that has originated from within the HE provider but where the HE provider has released ownership (usually through the sale of shares and/or IP).
- Staff start-ups are companies set-up by active (or recent) HE provider staff but not based on IP from the HE provider.
- Graduate start-ups include all new business started by recent graduates (within two years) regardless of where any IP resides, but only where there has been formal business/enterprise support from the HE provider.
- Social enterprises include organisations that rate their success on their social outcomes equally or more than their commercial outcomes
This table below shows licences granted. Use the drop-down switch between non-software or software-only licences.
HE Provider Data: Business and Community Interaction pages
- Business and community services
- Social, community and cultural engagement
- Intellectual property, start-ups and spin-offs
- Regeneration and development
- Strategies, approaches and infrastructures
- Contents of releases
Support and contacts
- Introduction HE Business and Community Interaction data
- Give us your feedback
- Pre-release access to official statistics
- Sign up for HESA Open data alerts
+44 (0) 1242 211 120, [email protected]
+44 (0) 1242 211 494, [email protected]