- Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA)
- 95 Promenade
- GL50 1HZ
The Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 introduced the concept of Official Statistics. This encompassed the previous category of National Statistics which continues to exist as a sub-category of Official Statistics. The Official Statistics Order 2008 first designated the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) as a producer of Official Statistics.
The Code of Practice for Official Statistics (Protocol 2: Release practices) states that statistical reports should be released into the public domain in an orderly manner that promotes public confidence and gives equal access to all, subject to relevant legislation.
This statement explains how the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) complies with the protocol.
Accessibility: Number and types of releases
The Official Statistics currently produced by HESA are:
- Performance Indicators in Higher Education in the UK - available to the general public from the HESA website
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Longitudinal Survey - Key findings report - available to the general public from the HESA website
- Students in Higher Education - available to purchase from HESA
- Staff in Higher Education - available to purchase from HESA
- HE Finance Plus - available to purchase from HESA
- Estate Management Record - summary published via the HESA website
- Finances of Higher Education Providers available to purchase from HESA
- HE Business and Community Interactions (HE-BCI) - available to purchase from HESA
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education - available to purchase from HESA.
In addition, the United Kingdom Statistics Authority has designated the following as National Statistics, signifying that compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics has been formally assessed:
- Higher Education Student Enrolments and Qualifications Obtained at Higher Education Providers in the UK (Statistical First Release) - available to the general public from the HESA website and from the National Statistics publications hub
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education in the UK (Statistical First Release) - available to the general public from the HESA website and from the National Statistics publications hub
- Higher Education Statistics for the UK (reference volume) - available to purchase from HESA.
Designation can be broadly interpreted to mean that the statistics:
- Meet identified user needs
- Are well explained and readily accessible
- Are produced according to sound methods
- Are managed impartially and objectively in the public interest.
Once statistics have been designated as National Statistics it is a statutory requirement that the Code of Practice shall continue to be observed.
The above outputs are all annual publications with the exception of the Destinations of Leavers Longitudinal Survey report which is produced on a biennial basis. None of the above releases are regarded as market sensitive.
The final decision on the timing of Official and National Statistics releases is agreed between HESA and the devolved UK administrations.
Forthcoming National Statistics releases are also announced on the National Statistics publication hub.
Any delay in the availability of publications will be announced via the HESA website and the National Statistics publication hub where applicable.
Timing of releases
Statistical publications classed as Official or National Statistics are issued at 09.30 hours on the pre-announced date.
The Pre-release Access to Official Statistics Orders provide advanced sight of statistical releases in specific circumstances. For full details of HESA's compliance with the Pre-release Orders please consult this page.