- HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency)
- 95 Promenade
- GL50 1HZ
The Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 introduced the concept of Official Statistics. This encompassed the previous category of National Statistics which continues to exist as a sub-category of Official Statistics. The Official Statistics Order 2008 first designated HESA as a producer of Official Statistics.
The Code of Practice for Statistics (Principle T3: Orderly release) states that organisations should commit to releasing their statistics in an open and transparent manner that promotes public confidence.
This statement explains how HESA complies with the principle.
Accessibility: Number and types of releases
The Official Statistics currently produced by HESA are:
- Performance Indicators in Higher Education in the UK - available as open data download
- Higher Education Student Data - available as open data download
- Higher Education Student Statistics: Alternative Providers - experimental statistics available as open data download
- Higher Education Staff Statistics - available as open data download
- Staff in Higher Education - available to purchase
- HE Finance Plus - available to purchase
- Higher Education Provider Data: Estates Management - available as open data download
- Finances of Higher Education Providers - available to purchase
- Higher Education Provider Data: Business and Community Interaction - available as open data download
- Higher Education Leavers Statistics: Alternative Providers - experimental statistics available as open data download
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education - available to purchase. View our publication hub to download or purchase.
In addition, the United Kingdom Statistics Authority has designated the following as National Statistics, signifying that compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics has been formally assessed:
- Higher Education Student Statistics - available to download and from the National Statistics publications hub
- Higher Education Leavers Statistics - available to download and from the National Statistics publications hub
Designation can be broadly interpreted to mean that the statistics:
- Meet identified user needs
- Are well explained and readily accessible
- Are produced according to sound methods
- Are managed impartially and objectively in the public interest.
Once statistics have been designated as National Statistics it is a statutory requirement that the Code of Practice shall continue to be observed.
The above outputs are all annual publications. None of the above releases are regarded as market sensitive.
The final decision on the timing of National Statistics releases is agreed between HESA and the devolved UK administrations and is published on our publication schedule.
Forthcoming National Statistics releases are also announced on the National Statistics publication hub.
Any delay in the availability of publications will be announced via the HESA website and the National Statistics publication hub where applicable.
Timing of releases
Statistical publications classed as Official or National Statistics are issued at 09.30 hours on the pre-announced date.
The pre-release access to Official Statistics provide advanced sight of statistical releases in specific circumstances. For full details of HESA's compliance with pre-release access please view this page.