- HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency)
- 95 Promenade
- GL50 1HZ
The Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 introduced the concept of Official Statistics. This encompassed the previous category of National Statistics which continues to exist as a sub-category of Official Statistics. The Official Statistics Order 2008 first designated HESA as a producer of Official Statistics.
The Code of Practice for Statistics (Principle T3: Orderly release) states that organisations should commit to releasing their statistics in an open and transparent manner that promotes public confidence.
This statement explains how HESA complies with the principle.
Accessibility: Number and types of releases
The Official Statistics currently produced by HESA are listed below. Items marked (NS) have been designated as National Statistics by the United Kingdom Statistics Authority, signifying that compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics has been formally assessed.
- Higher Education Student Statistics (NS)
- Higher Education Staff Statistics
- Higher Education Student Data
- Higher Education Staff Data
- UK Performance Indicators
- Higher Education Student Statistics: Alternative Providers
- Higher Education Provider Data: Finance
- Higher Education Provider Data: Business and Community Interaction
- Higher Education Provider Data: Estates Management
- Higher Education Leavers Statistics (NS)
- Higher Education Leavers Statistics: Alternative Providers
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (available to purchase. View our publication hub to download or purchase)
National Statistics designation can be broadly interpreted to mean that the statistics:
- Meet identified user needs
- Are well explained and readily accessible
- Are produced according to sound methods
- Are managed impartially and objectively in the public interest.
Once statistics have been designated as National Statistics it is a statutory requirement that the Code of Practice shall continue to be observed.
The above outputs are all annual publications. None of the above releases are regarded as market sensitive.
The final decision on the timing of National Statistics releases is agreed between HESA and the devolved UK administrations and is published on our publication schedule.
Forthcoming National Statistics releases are also announced on the National Statistics publication hub.
Any delay in the availability of publications will be announced via the HESA website and the National Statistics publication hub where applicable.
Timing of releases
Statistical publications classed as Official or National Statistics are issued at 09.30 hours on the pre-announced date.
The pre-release access to Official Statistics provide advanced sight of statistical releases in specific circumstances. For full details of HESA's compliance with pre-release access please view this page.