- HESA (Higher Education Statistics Agency)
- 95 Promenade
- GL50 1HZ
The Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 introduced the concept of Official Statistics. This encompassed the previous category of National Statistics which continues to exist as a sub-category of Official Statistics. The Official Statistics Order 2008 first designated HESA as a producer of Official Statistics.
The Code of Practice for Official Statistics (Protocol 2: Release practices) states that statistical reports should be released into the public domain in an orderly manner that promotes public confidence and gives equal access to all, subject to relevant legislation.
This statement explains how HESA complies with the protocol.
Accessibility: Number and types of releases
The Official Statistics currently produced by HESA are:
- Performance Indicators in Higher Education in the UK - available as open data download
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Longitudinal Survey - available as open data download
- Students in Higher Education - available as open data download
- Staff in Higher Education - available to purchase
- HE Finance Plus - available to purchase
- Estate Management Record (Environmental) - available as open data download
- Finances of Higher Education Providers - available to purchase
- HE Business and Community Interactions (HEBCI) - available as open data download
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education - available to purchase
View our publication hub to download or purchase.
In addition, the United Kingdom Statistics Authority has designated the following as National Statistics, signifying that compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics has been formally assessed:
- Higher Education Student Enrolments and Qualifications Obtained at Higher Education Providers in the UK (Statistical First Release) - available to download and from the National Statistics publications hub
- Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education in the UK (Statistical First Release) - available to download and from the National Statistics publications hub
- Higher Education Statistics for the UK (reference volume) - available to download till 2015/16.
Designation can be broadly interpreted to mean that the statistics:
- Meet identified user needs
- Are well explained and readily accessible
- Are produced according to sound methods
- Are managed impartially and objectively in the public interest.
Once statistics have been designated as National Statistics it is a statutory requirement that the Code of Practice shall continue to be observed.
The above outputs are all annual publications with the exception of the Destinations of Leavers Longitudinal Survey report which is produced on a biennial basis. None of the above releases are regarded as market sensitive.
The final decision on the timing of National Statistics releases is agreed between HESA and the devolved UK administrations and is published on our publication schedule.
Forthcoming National Statistics releases are also announced on the National Statistics publication hub.
Any delay in the availability of publications will be announced via the HESA website and the National Statistics publication hub where applicable.
Timing of releases
Statistical publications classed as Official or National Statistics are issued at 09.30 hours on the pre-announced date.
The pre-release access to Official Statistics provide advanced sight of statistical releases in specific circumstances. For full details of HESA's compliance with pre-release access please view this page.