What are HE students' progression rates and qualifications?
The tables and charts on this page provide information on the outcomes of students from higher education and the qualifications they achieve. Some information is taken from our Higher Education Student Statistics: UK, 2017/18 statistical bulletin.
The graphs below exclude unclassified first degree qualifications.
Some first degree level qualifications are not subject to classification. These include medical and general degrees, ordinary degrees, and aegrotat qualifications. These unclassified degrees are not included in percentage calculations for class of degree.
The following table gives a breakdown of qualifiers by HE provider. Use the buttons to switch between displaying the number of qualifiers (by level of qualification obtained) and the degree classifications that first degree students achieved.
Combined is used for courses that cover a range of subjects, such as modular courses offered by The Open University.
The table below looks at the proportion of qualifications awarded that were for science subjects. For example the first row shows “out of all qualifications awarded to female students, x% were awarded in science subjects”.
To view data on science qualifications broken down by personal characteristics (e.g. “out of all science qualifications, x were awarded to female students”) please see HE qualifications obtained by subject area and sex above, and What are HE students' progression rates and qualifications?: Personal characteristics
There is no single official definition of which subjects make up STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths). The HESA science grouping includes subjects like medicine, nursing and agriculture that may not be included in other definitions of STEM.
Over a quarter (28%) of first degree qualifiers obtained a first class honours degree in 2017/18, increasing from 20% in 2013/14.
HE Student Data pages
- Who's studying in HE?
- Where do HE students come from?
- Where do HE students study?
- What do HE students study?
- What are HE students' progression rates and qualifications?
- Contents of releases
- Historical data
- Information on staff, graduates and HE providers
- Non-continuation rates - UK Performance Indicators
- Higher Education Student Statistics: UK 2017/18 - Statistical Bulletin
- Higher Education Student Statistics: Alternative Providers, 2016/17 - Statistical First Release
- Qualifiers on teacher training courses
- Qualifiers and classifications by subject and HE provider
- Custom data and analysis request form
Support and contacts
- Introduction to our data on HE students
- Give us your feedback
- Pre-release access to official statistics
+44 (0) 1242 211 120, [email protected]
+44 (0) 1242 211 494, [email protected]
Can't find the information you want?
Our expert analysts can produce custom data extracts tailored to your needs.