Student record 2013/14
HESA Student record 2013/14
This section is an introduction and overview of the C13051 Student record collection.
- Introduction - Background information relating to the collection
- Data protection guidance - Information about how Data Protection legislation affects the processing of Student data by HESA
New to HESA or having problems?
Visit our page of support guides or get in touch with Liaison by email at [email protected] or call 01242 211144.
This section contains information about the record specification.
- Coverage of the record - The criteria for the return of data in the record
- Reduced returns - Information on the data items required for the reduced returns
- Data model - Describes the entities included in the record and the relationship between them
- Data items - Directory of all data items collected, and the guidance surrounding them. Displayed by entity, and sortable for ease of searching
- File structure - Describes the physical structure of the record
- C13051.xsd - Schema for the structure of the XML file
- C13051DataTypes.xsd - Schema for the data types used in the XML file
- C13051CodeLists.xsd - Schema for the valid codes for use in the XML file
- Derived field specifications - Contains the list and specifications of the derived fields applied by HESA. Derived fields are by HESA to create populations and groupings for analysis
This section contains additional information to assist in understanding and compiling the return.
- DLHE - Coverage of the record - Details the criteria for inclusion in the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) record, which supplements the Student record
- Further information on the expansion of level 3 qualifications data for HEIs - Guidance about HEFCE's expectations for qualification data
- Understanding HIN - An introduction to HIN linking with worked examples
UCAS data for HESA transaction
This section contains information about the UCAS data for HESA (*J) transaction, designed to provide HEIs with data originating from UCAS that is to be used in returning the HESA Student record.
- The UCAS data for HESA (*J) transaction - A document describing the transaction, including format, availability, access and support
Submission process and quality assurance
This section contains information relating to the data submission process together with tools to assist in data quality assurance.
- Data collection schedule - Details of the key dates and deadlines for the Student collection
- File structures for downloadable files - Contains details of the format and content of the downloadable files produced during data collection
- HIN validation - Lists the validation checks that are contained within the HIN report
- Business rules - Lists the insert stage validation checks
- COMMIT-stage validation - Lists the exception stage validation checks undertaken during a full or test commit
- Validation overview - A document describing validation checks and the various stages when checks are made
- Download validation kit - Contains downloadable validation kit and related help pages. The validation kit allows insert-stage validation to be run locally
- Submit data to HESA - Opening page to login to or register for a user account to access the HESA data collection system
- Check documentation - the check documentation issued during submission
- Check documentation guide - A guide to interpreting the check documentation
- Check documentation definitions and notes - A guide to the definitions and notes associated with the check documentation
- Understanding the NSS reports - A document describing the NSS reports generated by the submission system.
- Fixed database - Details of the process for submitting corrections to submitted data once the collection closes
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.