Student record 2020/21
- Coverage of the record - The criteria for the return of data in the record
- Reduced returns - Information on the data items required for the reduced returns
- Data model - Describes the entities included in the record and the relationship between them
- Data items - Directory of all data items collected, and the guidance surrounding them. Displayed by entity, and sortable for ease of searching
- File structure - Describes the physical structure of the record
- C20051.xsd - Schema for the structure of the XML file
- C20051DataTypes.xsd - Schema for the data types used in the XML file
- C20051CodeLists.xsd - Schema for the valid codes for use in the XML file
- Derived field specifications - Contains the list and specifications of the derived fields applied by HESA. Derived fields are by HESA to create populations and groupings for analysis
Submission process and quality assurance
- Submit data to HESA - Opening page to access the HESA data collection system
- File structures for downloadable files - Contains details of the format and content of the downloadable files produced during data collection
- Average FTE Expected Ranges - Contains information on the Average instance FTE values for 2020/21.
- Nil return sign-off form - The form to be submitted to HESA when the higher education provider will not be returning Student record data.
- Understanding the NSS reports - A document describing the NSS reports generated by the submission system.
- Validation overview - A document describing validation checks and the various stages when checks are made
- Download validation kit - Contains downloadable validation kit and related help pages. The validation kit allows quality rules to be run locally during data preparation
- Quality rules - Validation which enforces the quality of the submitted data
- HESA XML data entry tool - a program which will produce XML data in the format required for submission
- How to use the HESA XML data entry tool - guidance on how to use the XML data entry tool
- Fixed database - Details of the process for submitting corrections to submitted data once the collection closes
- Further guidance on Apprenticeship Standards students - An introduction to Apprenticeship Standards
- Further guidance on collaborative supervision arrangements - A guide to the coding of collaborative supervision programmes for postgraduate research students
- Further guidance on returning DfE programmes (excluding EYITT) - A guide to the coding of Department for Education (DfE) programmes
- Further guidance on returning Early Years Initial Teacher Training (EYITT) programmes - A guide to the coding of EYITT programmes within the record
- Understanding student continuity and the UHN link - An introduction to UHN linking (formerly 'HIN') with worked examples
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.