Student record 2019/20
- Introduction - Background information relating to the collection
- Data collection schedule - Details of the key dates and deadlines for the collection
- Data protection guidance - Information about how Data Protection legislation affects the processing of Student data by HESA
New to HESA or having problems?
Visit our page of support guides or get in touch with Liaison by email at [email protected] or call 01242 388531.
- Coverage of the record - The criteria for the return of data in the record
- Reduced returns - Information on the data items required for the reduced returns
- Data model - Describes the entities included in the record and the relationship between them
- Data items - Directory of all data items collected, and the guidance surrounding them. Displayed by entity, and sortable for ease of searching
- File structure - Describes the physical structure of the record
- C19051.xsd - Schema for the structure of the XML file
- C19051DataTypes.xsd - Schema for the data types used in the XML file
- C19051CodeLists.xsd - Schema for the valid codes for use in the XML file
- Derived field specifications - Contains the list and specifications of the derived fields applied by HESA. Derived fields are by HESA to create populations and groupings for analysis
Submission process and quality assurance
- Submit data to HESA - Opening page to access the HESA data collection system
- File structures for downloadable files - Contains details of the format and content of the downloadable files produced during data collection
- Nil return sign-off form - The form to be submitted to HESA when the higher education provider will not be returning Student record data.
- Validation overview - A document describing validation checks and the various stages when checks are made
- Download validation kit - Contains downloadable validation kit and related help pages. The validation kit allows quality rules to be run locally during data preparation
- Quality rules - Validation which enforces the quality of the submitted data
- HESA XML data entry tool - a program which will produce XML data in the format required for submission
- How to use the HESA XML data entry tool - guidance on how to use the XML data entry tool
- Further guidance on Apprenticeship Standards students - An introduction to Apprenticeship Standards
- Further guidance on collaborative supervision arrangements - A guide to the coding of collaborative supervision programmes for postgraduate research students
- Further guidance on returning DfE programmes (excluding EYITT) - A guide to the coding of Department for Education (DfE) programmes
- Further guidance on returning Early Years Initial Teacher Training (EYITT) programmes - A guide to the coding of EYITT programmes within the record
- Understanding student continuity and the UHN link - An introduction to UHN linking (formerly 'HIN') with worked examples
UCAS data for HESA transaction
- The UCAS data for HESA (*J) transaction - A document describing the transaction, including format, availability, access and support
Contact Liaison by email or on +44 (0)1242 388 531.