Data Futures: The programme
Updated: 4 May 2022
The latest Data Futures programme update sent to all Accountable Officers / Heads of provider and senior contacts is available in our HESA news section.
Sign up for the Data Futures monthly newsletter to receive regular updates, milestones and useful content.
Right-click on image and select 'open in new tab' to see a full-size version of the image.
Data Futures timeline: text version
The Alpha phase ran from May 2021 to January 2022
The Beta phase launched February and runs until August 2022.
The online validation toolkit will open June 2022.
Data needs to be collected in the new format from 1 August 2022, using the 22056 specification.
The HDP will open for the 2022/23 collection in early 2023.
We will provide more information on the 2023/24 collection when it is available.
Background to the programme
The Data Futures transformation programme will facilitate in-year data collection, assurance and dissemination of HE data.
A new data collection platform, the HESA Data Platform (HDP) will enable the provision of data to Statutory Customers for the Student record. In addition, it will deliver a more efficient system for HE providers to submit and quality assure their data leading to operational efficiencies.
The programme, led by HESA and delivered with Jisc will deliver a range of benefits for Statutory Customers, HE Providers, HESA and the HE sector.
Greater data utility
- Timely, high-quality data to support effective regulation and decision-making in relation to the UK HE sector.
- Improved management information for HE providers.
Statutory data efficiencies
- More efficient data return and quality assurance process for HE providers.
- Better alignment of regulatory and statutory data returns through a single model that connects with the increasingly diverse range of administrative business processes in HE providers.
Maintaining data quality
- Ensure appropriate data quality for national statistics products.
- Providing fit for purpose data for regulation and statutory purposes.
HESA weekly update
Data Futures operational updates (coding manual releases, resource updates, etc) will now be available via the HESA weekly update. If you are not a HESA operational contact, you can sign up for the HESA weekly update; you can change your preferences at any time.
For further information or queries, please email [email protected].