Data Futures: The programme
Updated 14 September 2021
We emailed a Data Futures programme update on 9 September to all Accountable Officers / Heads of provider: the text is available in our HESA news section.
Right-click on image and select 'open in new tab' to see a full-size version of the image.
Data Futures timeline: text version
The Alpha phase runs from May to September 2021.
The Beta phase is scheduled to run from February to August 2022: we will provide more details when they are available.
The Data Futures transition year, 2022/23, will be an annual collection hosted on the HESA Data Platform (HDP) using the Student-Data Futures specification.
We will provide more information on the 2023/24 collection when it is available.
Background to the programme
The Data Futures transformation programme will facilitate in-year data collection, assurance and dissemination of HE data.
A new data collection platform, the HESA Data Platform (HDP) will enable the provision of data to Statutory Customers for the Student record. In addition, it will deliver a more efficient system for HE providers to submit and quality assure their data leading to operational efficiencies.
The programme, led by HESA and delivered with Jisc will deliver a range of benefits for Statutory Customers, HE Providers, HESA and the HE sector.
Greater data utility
- Timely, high-quality data to support effective regulation and decision-making in relation to the UK HE sector.
- Improved management information for HE providers.
Statutory data efficiencies
- More efficient data return and quality assurance process for HE providers.
- Better alignment of regulatory and statutory data returns through a single model that connects with the increasingly diverse range of administrative business processes in HE providers.
Maintaining data quality
- Ensure appropriate data quality for national statistics products.
- Providing fit for purpose data for regulation and statutory purposes.
HESA weekly update
Data Futures operational updates (coding manual releases, resource updates, etc) will now be available via the HESA weekly update. If you are not a HESA operational contact, you can sign up for the HESA weekly update; you can change your preferences at any time.
For further information or queries, please email [email protected].