Data Futures: The programme
Updated: 13 July 2022
In this page:
- Programme timeline (graphic)
- Programme headlines and milestones
- Background to the programme
- Data Futures announcements (published on the HESA website)
- Support and resources
Right-click on image and select 'open in new tab' to see a full-size version of the image.
Programme headlines and milestones
- The Alpha phase ran from May 2021 to January 2022.
- The Beta phase launched February and runs until November 2022.
- The Online Validation Toolkit (OVT) opened June 2022: read the OVT user guide.
- Data needs to be collected in the new format from 1 August 2022, using the 22056 specification.
- The 2022/23 collection will be an annual collection hosted on the HESA Data Platform (HDP), using the 22056 data specification.
- The HESA Data Platform (HDP) will open for the 2022/23 collection in early 2023.
- The 2023/24 collection will be an annual collection.
- The 2024/25 collection will be an in-year collection, made up of two reference periods: read our in-year announcement.
The Data Futures transformation programme will facilitate in-year data collection, assurance and dissemination of HE data.
A new data collection platform, the HESA Data Platform (HDP) will enable the provision of data to Statutory Customers for the Student record. In addition, it will deliver a more efficient system for HE providers to submit and quality assure their data leading to operational efficiencies.
The programme, led by HESA and delivered with Jisc will deliver a range of benefits for Statutory Customers, HE Providers, HESA and the HE sector.
Greater data utility
- Timely, high-quality data to support effective regulation and decision-making in relation to the UK HE sector.
- Improved management information for HE providers.
Statutory data efficiencies
- More efficient data return and quality assurance process for HE providers.
- Better alignment of regulatory and statutory data returns through a single model that connects with the increasingly diverse range of administrative business processes in HE providers.
Maintaining data quality
- Ensure appropriate data quality for national statistics products.
- Providing fit for purpose data for regulation and statutory purposes.
We publish strategic updates as announcements on the HESA website, as linked below.
- The Student - Data futures 22056 coding manual.
- Additional resources: quality assurance approach, preparation assessment.
- Operational updates: sign up for the HESA weekly update.
- Programme updates, milestones and useful content: sign up for the Data Futures monthly update (please note, this update is also sent to all operational contacts).
For further information or queries, please email [email protected].