The Unistats website provides comparable sets of information about full or part time undergraduate courses and is designed to meet the information needs of prospective students. Prospective students and their advisors should visit the site at www.unistats.ac.uk.
As an additional technical resource for analysts and developers, the raw dataset that underlies the Unistats website is available for download below. This incorporates information from the Key Information Set (KIS). The download is presented as a ZIP file containing the data in both XML format and multiple CSV files. Please read and accept the Terms and Conditions below to download the ZIP file.
UPDATE: From 03 September 2015 the Unistats website and Dataset have been updated to use the new 2015/16 KIS record and the latest 2013/14 HESA data. The XSD schema and text definitions have changed to reflect this update.
Supporting files, documents, and information about updates to the data, are provided below.
Terms and conditions
The Unistats dataset has been produced by the Higher Education Funding Council for England ("HEFCE") with the assistance of the Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited ("HESA") ("we", "us", "our")and their licensors. It contains standardised information about undergraduate courses ("the Unistats Dataset").
3. Availability of the Unistats Dataset
While we shall use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Unistats Dataset is generally available on this Website we make no representation or guarantees as to such availability.
We reserve the right to withdraw access to all or any part of the Unistats Dataset for periods of time in order to modify its content and for other purposes, without notice to you.
Since you will access the Unistats Dataset and this Website via third party telecommunications networks, you acknowledge that we cannot guarantee that the availability of Unistats Dataset or this Website will be uninterrupted or error free. Similarly we cannot guarantee that the transmission of any information over such telecommunications networks will be secure nor that you will be able to access the Unistats Dataset and this Website at all times.
IMPORTANT: this Website and the Unistats Dataset is therefore provided to you on an "as is" and "as and when available" basis.
4. Email Updates
You can opt to receive email alerts advising you of updates to and announcements in respect of the Unistats Dataset by providing your email address.
Unless you provide your email address to HESA for another purpose HESA will only use your email address for the purpose of advising you of updates to and announcements in respect of the Unistats Dataset.
While we do endeavour to ensure that the information contained in the Unistats Dataset is accurate, appropriate and up-to-date, you should note that:
- since information is provided by third parties we cannot and do not undertake to monitor every item of information;
- we make no representations, warranties or endorsements about the information in the Unistats Dataset or its accuracy; and
- anything in the Unistats Dataset or on this Website is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal or professional advice.
- should you wish to access historical versions of the Unistats Dataset please contact HESA's Information Services Team ([email protected]).
While we use virus checkers to check the content of this Website, we are unable to guarantee that it is virus and/or error free. You should always check any content before downloading. Any content is downloaded by you from this Website at your, own risk, and on the basis that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of such content.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you are solely responsible for any decisions you take based on the information contained in the Unistats Dataset and or this Website. To the extent permitted by law, we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage arising from your use of the Unistats Dataset and or this Website.
6. Ownership and use of the unistats Dataset
You acknowledge that all rights in copyright, database rights, design rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights (whether registered, capable of registration or otherwise) throughout the world, for the full duration of such rights ("IP Rights") in the Unistats Dataset are owned by us, HEFCE, or our licensors (as appropriate).
Your licence of the Unistats Dataset
HESA, on our own behalf and on behalf of HEFCE and our other licensors, grant you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to use the Unistats Dataset subject to the conditions below.
This licence does not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exceptions and limitations.
6.1 You are free to:
- 6.1.1 copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Unistats Dataset ;
- 6.1.2 exploit the Unistats Dataset commercially for example, by combining it with other information, or by including it in your own product or application.
6.2 You must, where you do any of the above:
- 6.2.1 acknowledge the source of the Unistats Dataset by including the following statement:
- The Unistats Dataset is reproduced with the permission of the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE), the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) and their licensors. The Unistats Dataset may be accessed in its original form here: www.hesa.ac.uk/unistatsdata. All copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Unistats Dataset are owned by HEFCE, HESA and their licensors.
- and, where possible, provide a link to this licence;
- 6.2.2 ensure that you do not use the Unistats Dataset in a way that suggests any official status or that we or HEFCE endorse you or your use of the Unistats Dataset;
- 6.2.3 ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Unistats Dataset or its sources; and
- 6.2.4 ensure that your use of the Unistats Dataset does not breach the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
These are important conditions of this licence and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this licence, this licence will end automatically.
6.3 This licence does not cover the use of any logos.
7. Links to third party sites
We provide links to third party sites and content for your convenience. These links are not recommendations. Please note that third party content may be subject to terms and conditions imposed by the third party owner of the content. The inclusion of third party links does not imply endorsement by us of any content contained on the sites accessible via those links. HESA is not responsible for the content of such third party websites and hereby disclaims all liability for any loss and/or damage that may be incurred by you as a result of your access and/or use of such content.
You can contact us by sending an e-mail message to: [email protected] or by writing to us at:
Higher Education Statistics Agency
You can also see these terms and conditions on their own page.
When you click the button above, a download will be initiated. The file is delivered as a compressed archive (ZIP) containing a single XML file, a readme.txt file, and 21 CSV files. The size of the ZIP file will vary over time, but is roughly 14mb.
XSD schema file: Unistats output schema
Text definitions: Unistats definitions
Overview of the dataset: Unistats dataset file structure and description
Brief introduction to XML format: Using the Unistats output file.
UKPRN codes: UNISTATS UKPRN lookup 20141030
Subject codes: Lookup table for JACS 3.0 (applicable to latest data)
KISAIM codes: List of KISCourse.KISAIM valid entries
Updates to the Unistats Dataset will be made as required, and in parallel with the Unistats website, when contributing higher education providers wish to update their information. It is anticipated that updates will occur weekly on Wednesday afternoon if there have been any changes. The file name of the ZIP file includes the date and time.
An email mailing list has been set up to provide announcements relating to the Unistats Dataset and this will be used to notify users when updated versions of the dataset are made available. If you wish to add your name to this mailing list please visit the web page at www.jiscmail.ac.uk/KIS-UPDATE-ALERT, click on ‘Subscribe or Unsubscribe' and provide your name and email address. Alternatively you can send an email to [email protected] with the Subject left blank and the Message: SUBSCRIBE KIS-UPDATE-ALERT Firstname Lastname
If you have any questions on the dataset please email the Information Services Team at [email protected]
Using older Unistats data
If you are using an older version of the Unistats Dataset (downloaded before 03 September 2015) please use the supporting files for the relevant collection year:
KIS Collection 2014/15 for dataset downloaded 2014-08-28 to 2015-09-02
KIS Collection 2013/14 for dataset downloaded 2013-09-19 to 2014-08-27
KIS Collection 2012/13 for dataset downloaded before 2013-09-19