HE-BCI major review
As announced in 2019 at the National Centre for Universities and Business (NCUB) Annual Conference and the PraxisAuril conference, HESA are pleased to confirm that we will be conducting a major review of the Higher Education – Business and Community Interaction Collection (HE-BCI).
HESA’s project mandate provides the background and requirements for a major review to the collection:
Consultation phase one: summary of results
Now available to download:
• To undertake an investigation that meets the goal of specifying users’ needs for data on interactions between the HE sector, and the businesses and communities they work with, identifying output objectives, concepts of interest, and availability of data; starting in summer 2019.
• To run consultations and working groups aimed at understanding and confirming user needs.
• To produce a business case for the Design and Build of new or improved data collection/ingestion instruments along with associated processing, analysis and dissemination plans by the end of the 2019/20 academic year.
Initial review timeline
The HE-BCI steering group provides oversight and leadership to the HE-BCI major review.
The group was established following the recognition that knowledge exchange and public engagement activities undertaken by HE providers have grown and developed considerably since HE-BCI was first collected.
The steering group reflects the diversity of the UK HE sector. The group includes HE providers, HESA statutory customers and professional associations from:
- All countries of the UK.
- HE providers from around the UK of different sizes and type of provision.
- Sector group representation.
Individuals on the group are drawing on their own knowledge and experience and that of their employing organisation to provide advice to HESA to support the successful review of the HE-BCI record.
Members are listed below:
|Name||Job title||Provider / organisation|
Higher Education Knowledge Exchange Programmes Manager
|Department for Economy Northern Ireland (DfENI)|
|Professor Tom Crick||Professor of Digital Education and Policy||Swansea University|
|Sean Fielding||Director of Innovation, Impact and Business||University of Exeter|
|Yvonne Kinnaird||KE Policy & Outreach Manager||University of Strathclyde, Glasgow|
|Hamish McAlpine||Head of Data and Evidence||
|Keith McDonald||Assistant Director||Scottish Funding Council (SFC)|
|James Morgan||Senior Statistical Analyst||
Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW)
|Emma Morris||Senior Innovation Manager||Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW)|
|Dr Brooke Storer-Church||Skills and Employability Manager||Office for Students (OfS)|
|Caroline Summers||Director of Strategic Planning||Abertay University|
|Gareth Trainer||Assistant Director (Enterprise and Entrepreneurship) of NCU Careers Service||Newcastle University|
If you have any feedback or queries, please contact [email protected].