Initial Teacher Training 2022/23 (C22053): Notification of changes to personal characteristics data
This page summarises the changes to the ITT record that will be implemented for 2022/23 (C22053), relating to the outcomes from the personal characteristics and equality data consultation.
The annex from the consultation has now been updated with the outcomes. This shows current field specifications and maps them to the new proposals.
HESA will be working on the detailed guidance and recommended questions in the coming months.
Providers in England
Change valid entries to:
|00||No known impairment, health condition or learning difference|
|58||Blind or have a visual impairment uncorrected by glasses|
|57||D/deaf or have a hearing impairment|
|59||Development condition that you have had since childhood which affects motor, cognitive, social and emotional skills, and speech and language|
|51||Learning difference such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or AD(H)D|
|54||Long-term illness or health condition such as cancer, HIV, diabetes, chronic heart disease, or epilepsy|
|55||Mental health condition, challenge or disorder, such as depression, schizophrenia or anxiety|
|56||Physical impairment (a condition that substantially limits one or more basic physical activities such as walking, climbing stairs, lifting or carrying)|
|53||Social/communication conditions such as a speech and language impairment or an autistic spectrum condition|
|96||An impairment, health condition or learning difference not listed above|
|98||Prefer not to say|
- Code 08 "Multiple disabilities" has been removed and the field changed to allow maximum occurrences of up to 9 occurrences instead.
- Change guidance question to: Do you have an impairment, health condition or learning difference that has substantial and long-term impact on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities?
- Continuing students should be asked this question every year, so any changes made should be picked up anyway. This includes the changes for those who responded with “Multiple disabilities” previously.
- Not included in UK censuses, so following Advance HE guidance.
- Definitions: Prefer not to say – student doesn’t want to declare the information; Not available – the provider is not able to get this data in order to send it to HESA.
Change valid entries to:
|100||Asian - Bangladeshi or Bangladeshi British||Y|
|101||Asian - Chinese or Chinese British||Y|
|103||Asian - Indian or Indian British||Y|
|104||Asian - Pakistani or Pakistani British||Y|
|119||Any other Asian background||Y|
|120||Black - African or African British||Y|
|121||Black - Caribbean or Caribbean British||Y|
|139||Any other Black background||Y|
|140||Mixed or multiple ethnic groups - White or White British and Asian or Asian British||Y|
|141||Mixed or multiple ethnic groups - White or White British and Black African or Black African British||Y|
|142||Mixed or multiple ethnic groups - White or White British and Black Caribbean or Black Caribbean British||Y|
|159||Any other Mixed or Multiple ethnic background||Y|
|160||White - English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish or British||Y|
|163||White - Gypsy or Irish Traveller||Y|
|166||White - Irish||Y|
|168||White - Roma||Y|
|179||Any other White background||Y|
|899||Any other ethnic background||Y|
|998||Prefer not to say||Y|
- Change guidance question to: What is your ethnicity or ethnic group?
- Continuing students should be asked this question every year, so any changes made should be picked up anyway.
- Data chosen to align with the census in England.
- Definitions: Not known – student doesn’t know the information; Prefer not to say – student doesn’t want to declare the information; Not available – the provider is not able to get this data in order to send it to HESA.