Notes on tables - Higher Education Statistics 2001/02
Throughout the tables, PG represents postgraduate students and programmes, and UG represents undergraduate students and programmes, as defined in the Definitions section of this volume.
HE is used to mean higher education, and FE is used to mean further education.
DfES refers to the Department for Education and Skills.
UCAS refers to the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service.
Notes on tables
- The list of institutions in the HESA reference volumes has changed and the following institutions are no longer shown separately:
- Bretton Hall College of HE
- Northern College of Education.
- The following institutions have joined the HE sector and are now shown separately:
- Royal Agricultural College
- UHI Millennium Institute
- The Arts Institute at Bournemouth
- Bell College
- Conservatoire for Dance and Drama.
- The following institutions have changed their names for 2001/02. The changes are as follows:
- South Bank University changed to London South Bank University
- Welsh College of Music and Drama changed to Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama.
- University of London is a confederal organisation. The colleges of the university, shown separately in the HESA reference volumes, are:
- Birkbeck College
- Institute of Education
- Goldsmiths College
- Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
- King’s College London
- London Business School
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- The School of Oriental and African Studies
- The School of Pharmacy
- Queen Mary and Westfield College
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal Holloway and Bedford New College
- The Royal Veterinary College
- St. George’s Hospital Medical School
- University College London
- (Heythorp College is also a college of University of London, but is not included in HESA statistics as it is not publicly funded).
In addition, the institutes within the umbrella of University of London (Institutes and activities) are:
- British Institute in Paris
- Courtauld Institute of Art
- University Marine Biological Station, Millport
- School of Advanced Study comprises:
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Institute of Classical Studies
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies
- Institute of English Studies
- Institute of Germanic Studies
- Institute of Historical Research
- Institute of Latin American Studies
- Institute of Romance Studies
- Institute of United States Studies
- Warburg Institute.
Other notes on tables
From August 2001 Homerton College return data for students, staff and finance from the School of Health Studies only. All other data are now included in the figures for The University of Cambridge.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) data for FE students at The Arts Institute at Bournemouth is not available to HESA.
Figures relating to part-time overseas domiciled students may include students studying largely overseas by distance learning who also visit the United Kingdom for part of their programme of study.
For the 1999/2000 year HESA issued extra guidance to institutions in relation to the grade field, which resulted in some institutions changing their reporting practice. This guidance was also issued for 2000/01 and 2001/02, and although it appears that there has been no significant effect on reporting practices in this year, care should be taken when undertaking time series analysis by grade.