Notes to tables - Finances 2012/13
In tables where comparisons are made between HESA FSR figures for the latest financial year 2012/13 and the previous financial year(s), the figures for the previous financial year(s) are those reported in the re-stated financial statements.
- The list of institutions in the HESA products for 2012/13 has changed:
- The School of Pharmacy merged with University College London in January 2012. Both institutions continued to make separate returns for the 2011/12 HESA reporting period. For 2012/13 a single return was made by University College London
- Swansea Metropolitan University merged with the University of Wales Trinity Saint David
- The University of Wales, Newport merged with the University of Glamorgan in April 2013, forming the University of South Wales. Both institutions continued to make separate returns for the 2012/13 HESA reporting period.
- The following institutions have changed their name in the HESA products for 2012/13:
- The Arts University College at Bournemouth changed to The Arts University Bournemouth
- Bishop Grosseteste University College Lincoln changed to Bishop Grosseteste University
- Harper Adams University College changed to Harper Adams University
- Leeds Trinity University College changed to Leeds Trinity University
- Newman University College changed to Newman University
- Norwich University College of the Arts changed to Norwich University of the Arts
- Queen Mary and Westfield College changed to Queen Mary University of London
- Royal Agricultural College changed to Royal Agricultural University
- University College Falmouth changed to Falmouth University
- University College Plymouth St Mark and St John changed to University of St Mark and St John.
In addition to changing their name, the following institutions have also changed UKPRN for 2012/13:
- Harper Adams University changed to 10040812
- University of St Mark and St John changed to 10037449.
- University of London is a confederal organisation. The colleges of the university, shown separately in the HESA reference volumes, are:
- Birkbeck College
- The Institute of Cancer Research
- Central School of Speech and Drama
- Courtauld Institute of Art
- Goldsmiths College
- Heythrop College
- Institute of Education
- King's College London
- London Business School
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- Queen Mary University of London
- Royal Academy of Music
- Royal Holloway and Bedford New College
- The Royal Veterinary College
- St George's Hospital Medical School
- The School of Oriental and African Studies
- University College London.
In addition, the institutes within the umbrella of University of London (Institutes and activities) are:
- University of London Institute in Paris
- University Marine Biological Station, Millport
- School of Advanced Study comprises:
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies
- Institute of Classical Studies
- Institute of Commonwealth Studies
- Institute of English Studies
- Institute of Historical Research
- Institute of Latin American Studies
- Institute of Modern Languages Research
- Institute of Musical Research
- Institute of Philosophy
- The Warburg Institute.
The University of Buckingham publishes audited accounts to 31 December each year. Consequently, the income and expenditure in these finance data are prepared from management accounts spanning two financial years, which can be reconciled to the published accounts for 2012 and 2013.
The FSR submissions for The University of East Anglia and The University of Essex include figures for income, net return, net assets and deferred capital grants for the University Campus Suffolk, which is a 50:50 joint venture between these two universities.
Guildhall School of Music and Drama is owned and run by the City of London Corporation and does not produce their own balance sheet, statement of total recognised gains and losses, or cash flow statement.
Loughborough University have misreported a number of items within Table 8 of their 2012/13 FSR return. The affected items, with corrected figures, are as follows; Other operations - Buildings, Total actual spend £000s; 13,816. Other operations - Buildings, Internal funds £000s; (12,191). Total capital expenditure, Total actual spend £000s; 20,863. Total capital expenditure, Internal funds £000s; (4,851). As a result, their data has been suppressed and is shown within the data as '..' and removed from sector totals.
In 2012/13, Heriot-Watt University misreported £409K FE course fees in FSR Table 6a. This figure should read 0. As a result, their data has been suppressed from table 2 and F and removed from sector totals.
- The School of Pharmacy merged with University College London in January. Both institutions continued to make separate returns for the 2011/12 HESA reporting period. However, The School of Pharmacy provided a partial Finance Statistics Return (FSR) covering the period 1 August 2011 to 31 December 2011. The FSR for the period 1 January 2012 to 31 July 2012 has been included in the FSR figures of the University College London. This should be taken into account when analysing University College London 2011/12 restated figures in Table 1.
For further data intelligence, please see the following web page:
This page is regularly updated as and when new issues are identified and explained.
© Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited 2014