Unistats dataset: Terms and conditions
From 11 September 2019 the Unistats Dataset is available under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0) licence.
You must give appropriate credit (HESA, www.hesa.ac.uk), provide a link to the licence, and indicate if any changes have been made.
The Terms and Conditions below relate to any Unistats dataset downloaded before 11 September 2019.
The Unistats dataset has been produced by the Office for Students ("OfS" - formerly the Higher Education Funding Council for England) with the assistance of the Higher Education Statistics Agency Limited ("HESA") ("we", "us", "our") and their licensors. It contains standardised information about undergraduate courses ("the Unistats Dataset").
3. Availability of the Unistats Dataset
While we shall use reasonable endeavours to ensure that the Unistats Dataset is generally available on this Website we make no representation or guarantees as to such availability.
We reserve the right to withdraw access to all or any part of the Unistats Dataset for periods of time in order to modify its content and for other purposes, without notice to you.
Since you will access the Unistats Dataset and this Website via third party telecommunications networks, you acknowledge that we cannot guarantee that the availability of Unistats Dataset or this Website will be uninterrupted or error free. Similarly we cannot guarantee that the transmission of any information over such telecommunications networks will be secure nor that you will be able to access the Unistats Dataset and this Website at all times.
IMPORTANT: this Website and the Unistats Dataset is therefore provided to you on an "as is" and "as and when available" basis.
4. Email Updates
You can opt to receive email alerts advising you of updates to and announcements in respect of the Unistats Dataset by providing your email address.
Unless you provide your email address to HESA for another purpose HESA will only use your email address for the purpose of advising you of updates to and announcements in respect of the Unistats Dataset.
While we do endeavour to ensure that the information contained in the Unistats Dataset is accurate, appropriate and up-to-date, you should note that:
- since information is provided by third parties we cannot and do not undertake to monitor every item of information;
- we make no representations, warranties or endorsements about the information in the Unistats Dataset or its accuracy; and
- anything in the Unistats Dataset or on this Website is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal or professional advice.
- should you wish to access historical versions of the Unistats Dataset please contact HESA's Information Services Team ([email protected]).
While we use virus checkers to check the content of this Website, we are unable to guarantee that it is virus and/or error free. You should always check any content before downloading. Any content is downloaded by you from this Website at your own risk, and on the basis that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that results from the download of such content.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you are solely responsible for any decisions you take based on the information contained in the Unistats Dataset and or this Website. To the extent permitted by law, we will not be liable to you for any loss or damage arising from your use of the Unistats Dataset and or this Website.
6. Ownership and use of the Unistats Dataset
You acknowledge that all rights in copyright, database rights, design rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights (whether registered, capable of registration or otherwise) throughout the world, for the full duration of such rights ("IP Rights") in the Unistats Dataset are owned by us, OfS, or our licensors (as appropriate).
Your licence of the Unistats Dataset
HESA, on our own behalf and on behalf of OfS and our other licensors, grant you a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive licence to use the Unistats Dataset subject to the conditions below.
This licence does not affect your freedom under fair dealing or fair use or any other copyright or database right exceptions and limitations.
6.1 You are free to:
- 6.1.1 copy, publish, distribute and transmit the Unistats Dataset ;
- 6.1.2 exploit the Unistats Dataset commercially for example, by combining it with other information, or by including it in your own product or application.
6.2 You must, where you do any of the above:
- 6.2.1 acknowledge the source of the Unistats Dataset by including the following statement:
- "The Unistats Dataset is reproduced with the permission of the Office for Students (OfS), the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) and their licensors. The Unistats Dataset may be accessed in its original form here: www.hesa.ac.uk/support/tools-and-downloads/unistats. All copyright and other intellectual property rights in the Unistats Dataset are owned by OfS, HESA and their licensors."
- and, where possible, provide a link to this licence;
- 6.2.2 ensure that you do not use the Unistats Dataset in a way that suggests any official status or that we or OfS endorse you or your use of the Unistats Dataset;
- 6.2.3 ensure that you do not mislead others or misrepresent the Unistats Dataset or its sources; and
- 6.2.4 ensure that your use of the Unistats Dataset does not breach the Data Protection Act 1998 or the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
These are important conditions of this licence and if you fail to comply with them the rights granted to you under this licence, this licence will end automatically.
6.3 This licence does not cover the use of any logos.
7. Links to third party sites
We provide links to third party sites and content for your convenience. These links are not recommendations. Please note that third party content may be subject to terms and conditions imposed by the third party owner of the content. The inclusion of third party links does not imply endorsement by us of any content contained on the sites accessible via those links. HESA is not responsible for the content of such third party websites and hereby disclaims all liability for any loss and/or damage that may be incurred by you as a result of your access and/or use of such content.
You can contact us by sending an e-mail message to: [email protected] or by writing to us at:
- Information Services
- Higher Education Statistics Agency
- 95 Promenade
- GL50 1HZ